Author Topic: Matching Engine and Frame numbers  (Read 14509 times)

Offline bedouin

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Matching Engine and Frame numbers
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »
Whats your take on how important matching frame and engine numbers are on bikes from the 40's and 50's ??

How do they affect, value, appreciation and the ability to show your bike?

Thanks in advance.

wetdog

Re: Matching Engine and Frame numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »
only effects value if top price is being asked or has traceable history , race ,owner etc . plenty of re stamped frames out there trying to pass a machine off as something it is not

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
It's all a matter of personal choice. Some people want matching numbers old documents, vehicle history and more. For me it's the motorcycle that I am interested in the fact that the engine is not the one that it left the factory with, so what. As wet dog has said when you get to the expensive historic machines it makes a difference to the value.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
Makes a difference to Triumph twins too (for instance), and they're not historic, yet.

Matching numbers may not make the bike go any better, but they'll sure make you feel better when you come to sell it. Restamped frames are for Pikies only. Avoid.

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:55:27 PM »
Q plate = stolen .
Age related plate = asset  stripping .
Non matching numbers = OK part of its history but not ideal .
Matching numbers (if original )= lovely , always nice to see a bike as it left the factory .

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
Q plate = stolen . not always
Age related plate = asset  stripping .not always
Non matching numbers = OK part of its history but not ideal .reflected in the value
Matching numbers (if original )= lovely , always nice to see a bike as it left the factory .nice i agree

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Only playing , but i really do not like Q plates or Scottish S plates on re registered bikes , the best thing the DVLA done was giving non transfer original numbers back .

Offline Mr B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
"Matching Numbers" means what, exactly? Identical frame and engine numbers? That rules out Vincents then. And pre-1950 Triumphs. And Velocettes. And loads more British makes. Or do we mean the frame and engine numbers are the same as were on the bike when it was new? In that case, who knows (or cares) when they see a bike at a show whether the apparently unmatched numbers are the originals or not? Only the factory records can tell you that. Here's an example: 1948 Triumph Grand Prix 500. Engine number 97039R, frame number 20031R. They don't match, but does Mr Concours Judge know if they're correct? I know they are, but only because I have a copy of the original Meriden test report and data sheet signed by Syd Whelpton and Alastair Scobie. So go ahead and show your bike and don't get uptight about it.

Offline Mr B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »
Only playing , but i really do not like Q plates or Scottish S plates on re registered bikes , the best thing the DVLA done was giving non transfer original numbers back .

I bought a Laverda that was on a Q plate purely because the guy who imported it couldn't be bothered to get proof of the year it was manufactured. A letter from the owners club, half an hour at the local DVLA office, and hey presto it was sporting a number with an R suffix appropriate for the year it was made (1977). Simples.

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »
Yes Mr B but do you see how you tell people that it does not matter and then go on about your original numbers on your original works test card and then who signed it !

Until you told me different i was always told that once a bike had been given a Q plate it could / would never be changed , interesting thanks for that . Runesika

Offline Mr B

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
Yes Mr B but do you see how you tell people that it does not matter and then go on about your original numbers on your original works test card and then who signed it !

It's not mine. Just using it as an example.
I'll get me coat   ::)

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »

It's not mine. Just using it as an example.
I'll get me coat   ::)

At last ! someone on this site with a GSOH ! Don't get ya coat just yet Mr B , you are much needed on this site  ;)