Author Topic: Open Face Helmet  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Don Vosper

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Open Face Helmet
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »
Might need a new one soon.
Looking for an affordable open face helmet in the UK.
I would like one with the 5 studs for fixing a visor and a peak.
Only ones I have found so far are only £35.00.
Sounds a bit on the cheap side to me.
Any recommendations?
Don

Offline Tun up

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Open Face Helmet
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
I know your original post was ages ago; but here goes anyway.

Dont worry about the price. Even if you pay a few hundred quid your paying for the materials and possibly the paint job.

To be legal in the UK all helmets must conform to EU regulations. This is identified by a sticker on the back of the helmet or by a tag on the headlining or chinstrap Currently this is NEC 2205 and I believe moving to 06 soon if not already. Just look for the sticker or a tag inside with 05 or 06. A more expensive helmet will not afford you more protection.

Any reputable retailer will inform you if the helmet you are buying is not legal for use on UK roads.

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
The Direct Gov. site says "All helmets sold in the UK must either:

•comply with British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark
•comply with UNECE Regulation 22.05
•comply with any standard accepted by a member of the European Economic Area which offers a level of safety and protection equivalent to BS 6658:1985 and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark"

So my old BS6658 helmet still complies and can still legally be sold :D Mind you it is getting old now, it's 15 years old, so probably time for a new one. I have a hell of a job finding one to fit, I need a 7.5" or 19cm one and there aren't many around.

I find the full face helmets far to tight on my fat face, anybody else find this.

Geoff

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »
I must admit Geoff that I find full face helmuts not only too cosy on the face but also very claustrophobic so I went the Davida route. I bought the Davida classic which apparently doesnt have the kite mark. It is just a classic old P Pot type helmet but suits my needs admirably. I am aware the powers that be dont recommend it although I have had an accident in it where my head struck the kerb (I simply replaced the helmet) to no ill effect.... so I am told.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline hallii

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
OK Bomber, I am old enough to remember not wearing a helmet! For many years I wore a "Corker" made of cork with a "Leatherette" covering. It saved me from a hole in my head when I to hit a kerb with my head, bizzarely a milkman stopped to see if I was OK (I was) and gave me a free bottle of milk to drink! Marvelous stufff as I made a complete recovery :D

Geoff

Offline rosko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »
I cant stand full face helmets, why ride with your head in a box.
The open face I got from Lidl has done me just fine