Author Topic: 5 Speed Bonnie gearbox help  (Read 24033 times)

Offline paulrb

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Speed Bonnie gearbox help
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 07:03:10 PM »
Hi

I have not pulled the clutch apart but loking at the gears again (I can now take them out blind folded) I am more convinced it is the camplate, Because I had to get new layshaft selectors due to the lugs worn and the plunger slots are corroded on 4th and 5th but looking at the grooves in the camplate they look more of a point in places, I thought they would be smooth. I have been searching for a picture of a camplate as the manual is not clear. To be honest I am more reluctant to change this as I will have to remove the main shaft. (probably why no one else has changed it)
I will have another play with it today.. but leave the clutch alone thanks..

Offline paulrb

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 11:44:04 PM »
Hi

Looking at the camplate, dosen't look good so I decide what the heck pulled the clutch apart as I need to get the main shaft out to replace the camplate. Looking at the clutch hub I wondered if I pushed it on too far so the length of the mainshaft to the gear box was too short?
Decided to buy a run around on ebay so I have some wheels and do the Triumph justice in the rebuild than rush. The wife thinks I have bought another project. Gonna get banned from ebay..

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 12:07:29 AM »
Hi

Looking at the clutch hub I wondered if I pushed it on too far so the length of the mainshaft to the gear box was too short?

I'm not sure that would happen.
L.A.B.

Offline paulrb

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 01:55:29 AM »
I got the main shaft and cam plate out.. The plate is really worn but the mainshaft looks fine, The main shaft is tapered so you are right the clutch hub cannot affect the length, I think I am clutching at straws due to frustration, sorry for the pun.. I tried to attached a photo of the cam plate but the picture is too big.

Andy_G

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »
Renew the camplate. If it is worn that badly it won't cause the selector forks to move enough to select the gears (I am presuming the wear has occurred in the grooves where the fork pins locate). All you can do is sysematically replace worn or damaged components until the problem goes away.