Author Topic: Tandon 197  (Read 8620 times)

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Tandon 197
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
This machine was ridden round to dealers by the Tandon rep.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Tandon 197
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »

Very conventional compared with the early models!

Leon

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:58 PM »
I'm so unexcited.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:24:29 AM »

Perhaps I'm not actively excited, but I am very interested.

Great photo, Wink, thanks for posting it! I notice few of the people who have read the thread have viewed the photo full size. Have a look. Lovely detail of a 197 Tandon (agreed not too exciting), but fascinating to see the finish and detail on the bike. Great stuff for anyone restoring a 197 Villiers lightweight. Note the mix of plated and painted fasteners, the rubber cable ties, rear brake cable detail, etc. Most interesting.

Also interesting is the idea that a rep rode this around to dealers (and no doubt potential dealers).  How different to the industry today!

There's a good amount of stuff on this forum about earlier Tandons (Kangaroos and the like) which were pretty unusual. I'd expect many enthusiasts to find the early bikes interesting, although I'd forgive a lack of outright excitement.

If someone new to old bikes had a tidy 197 Tandon, they could almost certainly get a lot of fun from riding it. In fact I think many "experienced" enthusiasts might be surprised by how much fun could be had on a quiet run on a Sunday morning. Light weight, reliable, reasonable performance, cheap, cheerful... But as an introduction to old bikes, a great thing. Perhaps the next step would be to acquire a Kangaroo, or other early Tandon. Perhaps some Tandon ephemera. And the details of the Tandon history. It's a good story.

I reckon there's be worse ways to spend your spare time!

Leon

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
I agree, Leon, there most certainly are worse ways, like knocking a golf ball around the woods, or drowning worms in the local river. ;)

On the other hand, I used to buy/restore/get running just about any and every bike that I was offered up to a few years ago until I suddenly realised that I was spending too much valuable time on bikes which really didn't light my fires, and that had to stop.
The old adage about a cheap little stroker costing near enough as much to restore as a big four stroke isn't too far from the truth, and is certainly true, time-wise.
Nice little bike, but personally I would soon get pee'd off with it's (lack of) performance. No reflection on the bike, just the way I find Villiers engined strokers to be.
The British Two Stroke Club always appear at events and always seem to be having a good time too, and good luck to them, but it ain't for me...

{Very Bantam-like, that Tandon... ;)}

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 03:33:41 PM »
Well I`m glad somebody liked it! I couldn`t see the point in showing a bike that you can see  nice coloured photos of every month in with lots of Japanese historic vehicles. If roger wilko is unimpressed by a n original 57 year old photo which will help restorers hard luck. this attitude is why I haven`t bothered before. I`ll post one of my Tritons, sq. 4s,110s,z1e etc if he thinks the Tandons are beneath him!I dont restore bikes any more because of the cost and this makes them too valuable to use or leave parked out of sight.
more tandon phptos to come, it costs me nowt to post them and may help somebody to get it right for a change. Some bikes may light my fire but it depends who you`re racing against.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
Glad i offended. That was the idea. I'd rather eat dirt than be seen on such a thing. Some of us have pride.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »

Now I do like the scrambler. Is the Earles front fork a bought-in item? Made by? I wonder does the transfer on the main fork leg just below the bottom clamp read "Reynold 531"?

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 08:36:25 AM »
Fascinating isn't it. That Tandon hadrubber in compression rear suspension several years before exactly the same principle was seen as brilliant innovation in the Mini, yet the Tandon is seen as oddball.
Personally I'm glad Villiers powered beasties don't appeal to everyone as it would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing. Besides, it leaves more of them for me to play with.

Cheers,

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
Apology accepted Roger Wilko, We all acknowledge your superiority!

THE 125s with rubber suspension were popular in Bermuda  because of their capacity limit.
Dennis Howard was the rep who rode the Demo machine to dealers.
the factory was by the Watford bypass where the St.Albans railway line goes under next to 20th century who made excavators. they had a test area where John Thorpe was photographed testing the Kangaroo for the Motor Cycling  March 15th 1951 issue
The frames were sandblasted and painted at Wembley in the old 1924 exhibition site by a firm called Parrish. (no relation to Steve?)
The original leading links were tube cut at an angle, turned 180 and welded , no gussets or plates, which broke off on the big jump at Elsworth after being used hard for some time.. They were not fitted to customers bikes. Only research and development .The bent tube leading links were made by Reynolds to the same dimensions.
My 197 Tandon special would regularly see off tiger cubs on the road. But father tuned it.
Oh. and Roger. I`ve got one of the last BSAs made to challenge the Japanese invasion in my cellar.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:53:29 PM by wink »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Then again, I'd far rather have something Villiers powered than some piece of mundane 1980s Japanese grey Saki, but as said, it wouldn't be good if we all liked the same old stuff.
{Even though we do,deep down, but we just all can't afford Manxmans, Inters, Goldies and Broughs.. ;)}

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
I`ll try Quick reply, I wonder do we own/restore old bikes 1 because we had them when we were young, (1st bike)  2 we just want to enjoy a ride without revving to over 6000, 3  we are posing ,look what i`ve built ( I had the engine done by them, the frame done by him ,the tank done by another, etc)   4 because I`ve had it 40 years and now i`ve retired i`ll get out again. 5 because the open air riding is a pleasure, 6 because we can race it about and pretend we`re Phil Read, 7 to race.
Probably a bit of all of them, I asked a mate once why he only rode a tiger cub and he replied "I can ride it to the limit and crash more safely)
Its stopped raining , I`m going for a ride.

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Incredible how offended people can be over a pile of grey porridge! Can we get back to some serious technical or help questions please. I'm always here to help if i can, but always ready to put down any dross.

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »
Beige porridge. Was your 1st bike a Brough Superior?