Author Topic: Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single  (Read 54942 times)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »
I'm picking up my new Moto Guzzi single tomorrow, it's in working order but well used condition.  Anything I should look out for on these bikes?

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Moto Guzzi Super Alce Pre Falcone 500 Single
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:08:08 AM »
The previous owner sent me a couple of photos.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »
I'm picking up my new Moto Guzzi single tomorrow, it's in working order but well used condition.  Anything I should look out for on these bikes?

That you don't wear it out from enjoying riding it ?!!

I think I read somewhere that the idle speed could be set down to as low as 200 rpm on these - but that is too low to ensure enough oil is where it should be.

Enjoy !

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:30:36 PM »
I got it home yesterday and it's in the shed already.  I watched a video on youtube and one was ticking over so slow you could almost count the strokes.  This is nothing like anything I've had before, which is why I got it I suppose. 

I need to find a supplier for parts, the kickstart ratchet has worn out and some idiot has chromed the front hub.  The front brake is just for decoration it certainly doesn't stop the bike.  It has a layer of chrome on the friction surface. 

I looked through the handbook (Italian) and it seems the bike splits in two parts by removing three bolts and a few pipes and cables.  From under the seat and bottom of the front down-tubes.  The rear suspension is under the engine which stays together in the back half.  Makes it really easy to work on. 

Not sure what to do with it.  My idea was to check all the bearings and seals, get it mechanically sound and not much else.  I like the used look but I will deal with some of the dents. 

The wiring is a mess so I'll replace that myself and finish it off with a layer of cotton tape. 

It has to be a record for me this year, only two bikes to finish and the whole winter to do it. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
Been through the lists of suppliers but no luck.  Need a M-8111 Gear free for starter, it's the ratchet gear that runs on the kick start quadrant.

Been through Italian and German Ebay, and Moto Guzzi club but since Piaggio took over Moto Guzzi most of the history has been lost.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:25:03 PM by statik »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »

Not too many years ago a friend here in Australia bought a brand new set of forks (NOS) for a mid-1920s Guzzi from... the Moto Guzzi factory!

Worth a try?

Leon

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
Moto Guzzi has been taken over by Piaggio so a lot of the history has been lost.  I'm doing OK at the moment, I found a new friend in North Wales who has some old Guzzi's.  He put me on to a few leads, one is a shop in England, another in Mandello Italy and one in the USA who has all the parts I want but is very expensive.  There is also a private collector who sells some of his own stock.  It's not easy but that's part of the fun of owning these bikes.  I'm sure we have all been in this situation at some time. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »
The kickstart ratchet has worn out, I found another one in the USA but after post, duty, VAT and Post Office fees it's over £300.  I can get one made for less in England.  It's the toothed part and the piece next to it behind the clutch springs. 

A bit of research has found this is an army bike, confirmed when I cleaned up the brake back plate I found the green paint. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 02:04:21 PM »
Been translating an old manual for this bike, mostly to identify left hand threads.  Some are going OK.  This is the engine lubrication. 

Lubrication of the engine-gearbox unit
In this type of engine, the oil has not only the function of lubrication, but also has the important function of cooling the
engine, making the office water engine water circulation. A gear pump sucks the oil from the tank
and injects it into the motor shaft from the part of the distribution. The oil then runs through the internal ducts of the motor shaft and
out of the holes drilled in it under the big end. After lubrificalo latter, the oil passing through the rollers of the
bearing of the connecting rod head, comes out to the sides of this, and, by centrifugal force, comes projected on the plug, on the piston and on
the cylinder walls as well as on the transmission gears, lubricating and cooling ciuesti organs. The oil sovrabondante,
using a special elastic band applied to the piston, is driven back into the crankcase and collects in the bottom of this. From here,
by means of a pump d vane coaxial with the first pump, the oil is sucked and pushed into the reservoir.
It is noted that the direction of rotation of the motor, contrary cilla direction of travel, combined with the horizont al arrangement
the cylinder favors the perfect lubrication of the cylinder itself, since the oil droplets are, by centrifugal force
proietate on top of cilindio, whence the oil drops by gravity to also lubricate the lower part.

I actually think it's not bad for a first attempt. 

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »
Been translating an old manual for this bike, mostly to identify left hand threads.  Some are going OK.  This is the engine lubrication. 

I actually think it's not bad for a first attempt.

Its readable, and mostly understandable - with a little technical knowledge to fill/guess the gaps and odd bits.

There is a way somewhere/somehow so that technical terms are added to its vocabulary ?  Avoids things like water cooled, elastic bands, etc.

Imagine what translating something FROM technical english would be like, without a motorcycle specific technical dictionary to assist ??!! 

And some of those longspecialwordsingerman are a laff to try and translate...

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 12:40:59 AM »
There are some really good ones but I couldn't find them when I wrote that post, spark plug came back as Magic Candle with one translator.  I really like this bike and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  The research is going well and I know quite a lot about it now.  I would like to find out more about the previous owners or the army history. 

I'm in the process of getting  a UK V5 log book at the moment and that is quite funny.  DVLA have some strange ideas but when you get your head round the way they talk they are easily confused. 

Now HM Revenue and Customs are getting involved and it's getting silly.  Can't wait to tell them I'm not the importer, that will add a couple of weeks to the process. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 12:48:43 AM »
Still not decided on the colour scheme.  I don't fancy an army bike but would like a sage green with gold pinstripes.  These bikes are generally one colour with stripes and no black parts.  I may keep it red which is the wife's choice but I am getting rid of the chrome on the tank.  Any ideas?

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
It's funny how life works sometimes.  I got a phone call from a local factory last night who needed their gas space heaters serviced urgently.  The gas certificates had run out so being about five miles from my house I did it all today.  It was an engineering company established a long time ago with lots of wonderful old equipment like Fly-presses and furnaces.  They kept things up to date too with the latest punching machines and lathes.  Like all British industry they are having a hard time so we decided on a plan to sort out my bill.  They have a paint and powder coating department with all the right colors.  What a stroke of luck. 

If anyone wants their phone number PM me, they are in the Crayford, Kent area. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
Got a few reply's back now and spare parts are very rare.  Even tried Agostini Mandello and a couple of other shops in Italy but no luck.  There is a place in America which has a stock so I'll go to them,  They are very expensive and there is import duty to pay. 

I can get some secondhand parts but who's to know what condition their in.  Could be worse than mine. 

Had a few suggestions on the colour and so far I like BRG (British Racing Green).  Gold or cream pinstripe alongside a red pinstripe. 

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:55:30 PM »
Classic guzzis were red with chrome tanks, anything else is going to be a backward step ?  Perhaps better shaped panelling of red on the tank though.

The army superalces were heading towards butt ugly in mil green, with that split twin muffler.  Purposeful, but still ugly, beauty of line obviously didn't come into it.

And if your wife likes it red, we'd say thats a very broad hint !!?!!