Author Topic: Sturmey Archer Gearbox  (Read 9824 times)

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sturmey Archer Gearbox
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:24:23 AM »
G/Day Blokes,
I have a 1928 V2 Matchy and am seeking someone whom may be a Guru on internal clearances

Thanks
West Aussie

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Sturmey Archer Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »
What precisely are you after?

Sturmey Archer gave out very limited information in their literature. Back then it was expected that a skilled tradesman would have learnt appropriate clearances for the class of work he did during his apprenticeship so it wasn't necessary to provide it. Nevertheless there is certain amount of accumulated knowledge that may be helpful.

Often the easiest place to start is with Norton literature as they also used a three speed Sturmey Archer box in 28.

Tell us more.

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
G/Day again,
Yes there is limited technical info on the boxs that I have found so I have applied my own engineering knowledge towards removeing excess end float on the lay shaft.

My box is a heavy weight as used on teh 500cc models & carrys the No HW-117708        CRSB

Doug
West Aussie

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
Hi Doug,
This may help
http://www.vintagenorton.com/2009/05/assembling-sturmey-archer-gearbox.html

Theres a prewar AJS and Matchless very active on Yahoo groups
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wd-prewar-ajandmatchless/

Cheers
John

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
Thanks John,
I belong to both sections of the AJS/Matchy owners group as I have a few machines I have built over the years and receive daily logs from both sectors.

I also found the Norton article you sent me the link on and found and note it specifys the layshaft end clearance at 0.004"  ( 0.1mm)       I found my clearance to be 0.080"

Have machined up a Bronze thrust washer now and fitted so will see how that goes.

All the best & thanks

Doug
West Aussie

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:08:26 AM »
Hi again Doug,

As we agreed above Sturmey Archer info is a bit sketchy but a really handy Spare parts List for you to have is that for the LS 3-speed Type dated June 1930.

This is the type of box fitted to your V2. The HW on your gearbox actually refers to it being a HeavyWeight (HW) version of the LS box.

This spare parts list goes into fine detail listing all the special parts Sturmey Archer made for each manufacturer and often gives dimensions. Given how Nortons are well served with spares nowadays its handy to know what gearbox parts are common between the two makes.

I know the publication date is 1930 but it refers back to the V2 and to my knowledge the 1928 and 1929 V2 are mechanically identical but have different frames so you should be alright.

I also am a member of the AJS/Matchy groups but as a vintage Matchless owner like yourself find they concentrate more on the later models and AJS which have little interest to me. Matchless didn't buy AJS until after the vintage period so the two makes have no relationship in the vintage period.

Cheers,

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »
Howdy and thanks again,

Where do I scource a copy of that 1930 LS Box from

The only one I have is from the Vintage Norton site on the CS models

Where are you located geographically.

Just purchased some Hex bar to machine up some new spigotted type nuts which act as external dowells  on the box cover.

Someone has !"£%^%ised my nuts in a previous time so they are not of the standard I want

All the best
Doug
West Aussie

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:40:55 AM »
Sorry Doug,

I carried on and completely forgot to mention the obvious. It's available from the English VMCC Library.  Their site is www.vmcc.net and when you go there do a Library search for Sturmey Archer Gears. You'll find it listed as Sturmey Archer 1930 LS Type Instruction Book & Spare Parts List.

I've just looked it up to make sure of the exact title and found they also have previous Sturmey Archer LS Type Instruction Book & Spare Parts Lists for both 1928 and 1929 which will probably make life even easier for you. I only have a copy of the 1930 publication so can't say what other info may be included in the earlier versions. 

Unlike some other clubs the VMCC Library is open to all so you don't have to be a member to use it although I think the general public pay a little more for copying than club members.

I'm in Melbourne so a bit far to pop over for a weekend chat.

Finally, on the subject of those dowelled end cover nuts. Sturmey Archer fitted these fiddly litttle spring washers under each one. Commercial spring washers are usually too big to fit. In the past I have searched out an appropriate size of tension spring then cut off individual coils as replacements. It works but its fiddly.  I must have been nuts.

Sorry again about the brain fade,
Cheers

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:08 AM »
Thanks John and dont worry about the brain fade:
Had an electronic engineer work for me who had came from NASA & was on the Apollo mission when they put Armstrong on the moon.
I was in a very big chair at the time & said to him that I felt like I must forget half of what I had to do:
Never forgot his words:
The humain brain is a wonderous thing - everything you see , touch smell , feel etc is salted away into the sub concious.

AND: In the order of priority, the most important thing will always come to the fore.

So when you say Christ I forgot something - in fact you didnt as it had not become a priority until it made you remeber.

Ennough of that - I will be at the Jampot Rally at Lake Hume in November - will you be going ?

Found the library & thanks
Doug
West Aussie

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:05 AM »
If that is the one at Lake Hume that Andrew Jeffrey is involved in organising, yes. Not riding a Matchless but one of AMC's lesser lights. Hips & knees dictate what I can ride nowadays.

Cheers,

Offline barrumundi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »
Yes Thats the one -- Early in November I think.
I will be bringing the V2 over for a run around the paddock

The last one I did interstate, was in Swanhill on a G12

All the best
Doug
West Assie