Author Topic: A belated Merry Christmas to one & All: Values in more ways than one!  (Read 16810 times)

johnnyboy-wonder57

Re: A belated Merry Christmas to one & All: Values in more ways than one!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
Wink,
I worked at Dungeness RSPB Reserve part-time, whilst working also in a few colleges, my contract was with the , RSPB, however, one Spring,  whilst teaching Primary School children, a girl nettled herself on the legs & I requested that the accompanying female teachers took her to the toilets & sorted it out as she was crying & wash her legs off with some cold water to  help, stop the stinging. 
They then informed me that they could not wash her legs off or cuddle or comfort her as, this could be seen as inappropriate behaviour, when it came to renewing my contract, after doing five years Field Teaching, because this one incident had pissed me off so much, I just let it contract lapse!  What chance are these children going to have of growing up relatively & being relatively normal?

The whole beach at Dungeness  if you look closely, is littered with bits of old tanks as the Army trained there during WW2.  The species that made the area so special, the Stone Curlew, is now extinct there & still is, to my knowledge.

Funnily enough, I should have been able to make a career in the RSPB, but in the latter part of the 20th Century, women who seemed to  like other women, had infiltrated the upper echelons &  at other levels too, so as a normal male it could be, a strange  organisation to be  employee of!
was
I have worked down there, when the wind was so strong you could lean forward & not fall over!

Happy Days? Sometimes!

cheers

John

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 11:42:22 PM »
The beach at Ainsdale (Southport) is littered with bits of Triumph, we put a steel strap round the oil tank after the welded in nuts cracked out of the back leaving the oil tank hanging down on the pipes.
I think PLUTO left from Dungenness and today there is a building near the old lighthouse, could it be a gas terminal?

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:29 AM »
Wink,
What ever happened to Sand Racing? Could it be re-instated, I have ridden on the right kind of sand, it was fun the turning circle was quite large though!

Pendine sands,  record breaking, anyone remember other venues?

Cheers

JBW

wetdog

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:15 PM »
"I have ridden on the right kind of sand" ........................ what about the bird life ? shame on you  ;D

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
Yep... throwing all that sand about... could get in their cossies!
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
Guys,
On the wrong kind of sand in Morecambe Bay,  you disappear without trace very quickly, ( as in film myths), or get very muddy, the right kind of sand hardens up with applied pressure, the wrong kind of sand liquefies with pressure so you sink.
See escape procedure, bottom of the article!
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/quicksand-goo

Both types of birds soon vanish.

Cheers

JBW

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »
Pilling Sands at the South end of Morecambe bay is perfect for racing and kite buggies.
67 Bantam from Millers, presumably not new, therefore Millers shop at the saddle where Asda is now. He scrapped a load of bikes when he left Scholes.
Now someone has asked about Sand Racing I will post more in Classic Sport. It was Fun in the 60s but the only place I know of now is Mablethorpe. Did you ever go to watch. for free! Those days have gone.

wetdog

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
i would like to run a bike but what are the classis ? my only fast bikes ( for there day ) ends at 1949 . is there a class ? ps jbw the king fishers are back over the road from me , so finally the stitle  backs are back in the rea
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:13:40 PM by wetdog »

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
Kingfishers,
The colours of the Gods is upon them, yet the make a single discordant peep/pseep note, almost as mute as our native Swans!

I would love to organise an event somewhere like a blast up that ridge, the guy on the BSA does in You Tube video.

Some one tried too take track racing back to its humble working class roots, introducing single cylinder Royal Enfields  & MZ's, but hardly anyone was interested 'cos according to the "Biking Sun" , MCN, you have to have an R1, R6 or a Fireblade clone, see!
D
Lets do it, mud racing...

Cheers

JBW

wetdog

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »
red marley is a close as youll get here i think , and its a good day out