Author Topic: bonnie choke  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Ferritdave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
bonnie choke
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
bonnie running still rich on left cyl. Im sure someone can tell me when the choke's are on are the sliders up or down.

wetdog

Re: bonnie choke
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:20:47 PM »
down for on

Offline Ferritdave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
 Bonnie running great now with the chokes in right place.air screw turned down on left cyl.
Thanks to all for the advice. Oh by the way I have another question I have oil coming out of the
Vent pie under the engine is this the fault of the oil pump? I think it's called wet slumping I may be
Wrong. Help!
down for on

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »
what year triumph ?

Offline Ferritdave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
It's a 1969 t120r oil in side pods.

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
wet sumping look at the pump first and make sure scavange ball spring and seat are all good , i am not that up on unit triumphs but is there a timmed breather valve run off the end of the inlet cam ? or do they breath into the primmary case and then out near the drive sprocket ? 1969 is a bit late for me

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
  I have oil coming out of the
Vent pie under the engine is this the fault of the oil pump?

Possibly, but we'll need to know the conditions when it happens, ie, after being left over-night, ticking over on the side stand, after having a good run, etc
Different faults, different conditions.
1969 should have the primary used as a plenum chamber and the vent pipe out over the rear mudguard, but the interchangeability of Triumph engines means it could have an earlier/later engine fitted. What's the engine number (leave out the last digit if you like) to determine the year?

Offline Ferritdave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
It usually occurs when I am kicking it over  I've checked the oil is returning back to the reserve its run fine. The engine and frame numbers are  BC 10--- feb 69  the vent pipe is on the left just in front of the drive gear.

Offline Ferritdave

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Just looked in Haynes manual its called a vent pipe it looks like it should have a hose on it but doesn't show where it goes .the pipe is called breather extension in the manual

wetdog

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »
feb 69  the vent pipe is on the left just in front of the drive gear..................................have you a picture ? do you mean rear of the primmary ?   if it blows oil when kicked i would think its wet sumped and would take a good look at the punp , if alls good triumphs do not wet sump whilst standing , this is more a velo/bsa problem with there gear pumps

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »
The vent pipe is just a short length of rubber pipe used to extend the short steel pipe you have. It just points downwards.

The breather pipe is fed from the end of the inlet cam area and oil tends to pool there if the bike is left on the sidestand, so how much actually comes out when you kick it over?
As Wetdog suggests this isn't a usual Triumph fault (the oil draining down overnight) so next time you go to start it in the morning undo the engine bottom cap and see how much oil drains out.