Author Topic: Has The world gone mad?  (Read 12318 times)

wetdog

Re: Has The world gone mad?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:49 PM »
we live in hope , but maybe a K1

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 10:44:41 PM »
. The british bike industry was sick when the CB came out 69 , and should have been the wake up call they needed , the rest is history

Maybe so, but there's little point in rehashing the endlessly rehashed "Whatever happened...etc etc".

I had moved on to the present, and although actually stating that I've ridden Japanese for donkey's years I still consider that for all the wonderful traits of reliability, oil tightness, reliable electrics and the rest, they still haven't reached much in the desirability  or value stakes.
Much as you seem to want to argue the toss, there's no doubt that you can buy shabby running CB750 for less than a grand and there aren't many or even any Cubs going for that these days, and as everyone seems to agree, the CB is light years ahead of the Cub in every department so it clearly isn't down to the advanced spec of the Honda.

wetdog

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 10:53:40 PM »
the cheap CBs i think your thinking of are about . thats down to numbers . CBs (later ones ) out number tiger cubs , if you had to invest £10,000 in tiger cubs or CBs (early) go for the CB . sad to say us british die hards are a diying breed . time to wake up

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »
I agree, most of us have a yearning to relive our youth therefore wanting a similar bike to what we had... or indeed our dream bike of that time. There are exceptions to every rule, my school friends had fizzies at 16 and moved on to RD and GT 250's, then to CB and GS 750's after passing their test, I on the other hand started with a D7, then a Tiger cub and then a C15.... only because I couldn't afford a new Jappa. This then aggravated a dislike in what I couldn't have.

I then went on to more modern bikes of the time but found them less quirky and without character but definitely more powerful and far less reliant on constant maintenance. I had grown to love looking after my bikes and the Jappa culture of "get the bike out, press the button and go - return and shove it back in the shed" was less appealing to me.

80's and 90's 'classics' will gain popularity as time goes by... you have only to look at Classic racing and the 350 Honda. (maybe a bad analogy).
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

wetdog

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 02:37:47 PM »
same here c11g and I love british bikes ( I work on them far more than ride its a hobby gone mad ) but look around at the age of riders at say Banbury makes me wonder how much longer this british bike thing is going to go on for , my own two lads have no interest in british bikes for two reasons , cost (although they can take there pick for free) but the main one reliability , they think nothing of flying to the US , new Zealand etc and see a machine that might get them to spain and back on a good day and not in comfort as useless , they live in a age where 600miles a day is nothing. where as for me at age 17 250 miles was a real adventure and required a large tool kit , GSs are still a good buy , are a classic and will do many miles with no tool kit in tow two up . The people willing to pay 20,000 for a british ornament ( that's me ) are getting fewer . but there is a rise in those willing to buy classic japs , this will continue
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:40:21 PM by wetdog »