Author Topic: Triumph 5TA 6 to 12volt conversion - help/advice needed.  (Read 9723 times)

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Triumph 5TA 6 to 12volt conversion - help/advice needed.
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »
Some time ago I bought an alternator rectifier/regulator to convert my 1959 positive earth Speed Twin from 6 to 12 volts.
Of course that model already has an alternator. The regulator (also called "Power Module) instructions say "connect the green/yellow and green/black wires together and connect to one yellow wire on the regulator and the White/Green wire to the the other yellow wire on the regulator". The problem is that the wires from my Lucas regulator are light green, dark green and green and yellow, not the colours mentioned.

Can anyone advise which two wires I should join together?
Also, if I take the regulator black lead to earth and reverse the battery connections (using a 12 volt battery) will I have a functioning negative earth system?
Of course I am aware of bulb changes necessary etc. etc.

Thanks again for any possible advice.

Jim. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:28:45 PM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph 5TA 6 to 12volt conversion - help/advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
The problem is that the wires from my Lucas regulator are light green, dark green and green and yellow, not the colours mentioned.

Can anyone advise which two wires I should join together?

Connect the dark green and green/yellow wires together.

Also, if I take the regulator black lead to earth and reverse the battery connections (using a 12 volt battery) will I have a functioning negative earth system?
Of course I am aware of bulb changes necessary etc. etc.

Yes, basically,  unless there is electronic ignition or any other electronic items? The primary wiring to the ignition coil/s should also be swapped over, so that the coil negative terminal is on the points side. I believe ignition condensers don't always take kindly to having the polarity reversed, so it could be wise to fit a new one or at least carry a spare. 
L.A.B.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 10:28:14 PM »
Thanks very much L.A.B.
Of course the coil will need swapping anyway and these days they are usually marked + and - rather than CB and SW as they used to be.
I realise the ammeter wires will need swapping over too if changing earth polarity. I have in the past changed earth polarity on many cars with dynamos, but never a motorbike with a permanent magnet alternator with lighting switch controlled output.
The only reason for considering -ve earth is to permit easier wiring of LEDs in order to ease the load on limited alternator output so that a more powerful headlamp bulb may be fitted.
I very much appreciate your reply. You have helped me out before. But not recently because a year of mishaps, starting with a stroke and culminating in seven broken ribs caused by driving into the side of a car which tried to execute an un-signalled "U" turn as I was overtaking it. Severely curtailing my motorcycle activities and also visits to the forum.
A  lesson learned there! Fluorescent jackets seem to be invisible to some people!
Jim.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:03:40 AM by twolitre »
Jim Walker.

Offline ChrisBerry

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »
Thanks very much L.A.B.
Of course the coil will need swapping anyway and these days they are usually marked + and - rather than CB and SW as they used to be.
I realise the ammeter wires will need swapping over too if changing earth polarity. I have in the past changed earth polarity on many cars with dynamos, but never a motorbike with a permanent magnet alternator with lighting switch controlled output.
The only reason for considering -ve earth is to permit easier wiring of led lights in order to ease the load on limited alternator output so that a more powerful headlamp bulb may be fitted.
I very much appreciate your reply. You have helped me out before. But not recently because a year of mishaps, starting with a stroke and culminating in seven broken ribs caused by driving into the side of a car which tried to execute an un-signalled "U" turn as I was overtaking it. Severely curtailing my motorcycle activities and also visits to the forum.
A  lesson learned there! Fluorescent jackets seem to be invisible to some people!
Jim.

Nice lesson learned even I have faced similar problem earlier and I learnt similar lesson:):)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:06:20 PM by ChrisBerry »