Author Topic: Advice on first classic motorbyke purchase  (Read 8377 times)

Offline freax

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Advice on first classic motorbyke purchase
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:41:48 PM »
Good day to all,

I already had three 50cm3 in the past but now I want to buy a classic motorbyke with a little more power to make longer trips. I have a classic car and I know that mechanics must be all fine tuned and that there may be problems of reliability compared to a newer bike. However I would like to know for example whether an AJS 16MS 350 or Royal Enfield Bullet 350 G2 can handle a trip of 100 km (maybe off motorways) for two times a year ?
Also, I might ask your opinion on these two bikes that are for sale in my town and already full restored. Any preference in terms of reliability and performance, or some known problem of these models?

Thanks in advance.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on first classic motorbyke purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:31:43 AM »
Both of those bikes are at the less expensive end of the classic bike spectrum - and sold when in new in quite large quantities and were quite popular. These days, neither of them are motorway blasters, but should handle back roads well enough.  Don't pay too much, there are lots of these about, and the 350s are not as in demand as the 500s.

Both of them though, often in very high mileage condition, need to be examined thoroughly to make sure the oil is being fed adequately into the big end bearing through the timing side. Any skimping here in a rebuild can cause engine damage not too far down the road, so make sure the rebuilder has some knowledge of this.  You don't say what years these are, but the magneto if it has one HAS to have been fully rebuilt, since old maggies are not renowned for reliability and will surely cause trouble otherwise.  Check also for ful leaks, and that everything in the fuel system is in A1 condition. If it won't idle, reliably, this a sign it needs further work. 

Remember too that everything in these old charmers can be rebuilt, it just may take cubic $$$ to get there. 
And, like classic cars, may need a fair bit of fettling and tinkering to always give reliable service. 
This is part of the fun of these.  Hopethishelps.

Offline freax

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:37:37 AM »
Yes, it was a big help considering I do not know anything about motorcycles and more specifically about vintage motorcycles. I'm sorry about forgetting to say that the bikes are being sold as 100% restored in a motor dealer/store, mainly the Royal Enfield with a better restoration job. They are from the following years:

Ajs 350 16MS - April 1957 - 15.000 km - 4000 euros (about 3452 UK pounds)
Royal Enfield Bullet G2 350 - May 1953 - 7.090 km - 5750 euros (about 4962 UK pounds)

Some photographs:

Thanks.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:00:54 AM »
Nice bikes.
As long as they as good on the inside as they look on the outside.
Your choice really, which one do you prefer ?

Do they come with any warranty. ?
Newly restored bikes usually need say a 1000 miles of 'shakedown running', where any problems can be expected to show up.

You can still buy similar looking Enfields, new, that don't look that different.
That would almost be the new price of one ?

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 11:28:42 AM »
im not a enfield fan but the swing arm AJS makes me feel a bit sick , i would buy a secound hand 500 indian enfield , you will get a good one for @ £2000/2500 and enjoy riding it .

Offline freax

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
I prefer the Royal Enfield because I like bikes with individual seats, but a new 500cm3 are being sold in my country for about 5859 UK pounds, so it's only 897 more than the vintage one. But the new made in Indian are reliable as the old ones made in UK ?
These two bikes (AJS and R.E.) are being sold in a car/bike official store, so the law forces to give 2 years of warranty.

Wetdog, what do you mean by AJS making you sick ? You don't like it ?

wetdog

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
no i dont like swing arm ajs , i do have a couple of ridgid / girder ajs , and must say they are a very quiet sweet running bike , my 250 is non standard and just for fun in the mud
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:11:36 PM by wetdog »

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 02:04:28 AM »
I have an old rigid-framed Enfield J, and a (project) rigid AJS.
After a longish ride, the folks on swingarm bikes can walk away, while those of us on rigid frames more hobble away.
Hard work, after a while. !! 
There was a reason swingarms and dual seats took over in the sales war.
Fun though - you pays your money and takes your choice.
With a dual seat, some even bring wives along for the fun.
Try that with a rigid frame...

In recent years, new Enfields are probably far more reliable than older bikes.
Uless the older bike is VERY well sorted, and well maintained.
Hasn't always been so with the newer Enfields however. ?

wetdog

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:52:15 AM »
I know what you mean , it is just the look , for practicality the swing arm will always win , but some I find a bit tall or very wide in the seat , also I think the brakes must be better on the new enfields as some , maybe all are disc , Ariel , panther , ajs always lacked the style they once had when they went swing arm for me , where as I think triumph , Norton ,bsa managed to pull it off .

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
where as I think triumph , Norton ,bsa managed to pull it off .

Possibly why you pay more for these as 'classics' - when essentially the performances are all rather similar. ?

You also make a good point about brakes.
Almost all earlier bikes are not usually not too strong in the brakes dept.
Ensuring they are as good as possible is all part of the ownership routine.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
I would recommend the AJS.Its a later model with the good AMC gearbox,appears to have the SR mag with auto advance,and so should have an alternator.The full width alloy hubs will have good braking,unlike the Enfield with 6in non existo braking.The Enfield gear box is a like a tub of old bolts,full of false neutrals,and stiff to change.New parts for the AMC box are available if necessary,and AJS/Matchless motor parts are easy to find.Thats my two cents worth.Regards John.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
Most important,get someone experienced to check them over,before parting with hard earned.Regards John.

Offline freax

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »
Thanks for the help given. Next saturday I will visit the shop and ask a friend that knows vintage bikes to go with me.
[]'s