Author Topic: BSA B31 for first classic bike?  (Read 33155 times)

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: BSA B31 for first classic bike?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 10:45:31 PM »
Just...
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »
Indeed. Sticking some mongrel Jappa front end on an expensive Meriden Triumph is only feasible if you're building a bike from bits and really don't care what it looks like or what it does to the resale value.
The Triumph TLS brakes are good (even the comical ones) as are the discs. Quality relined shoes from someone like Saftek and decent heavy cables are the way to go.

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Surely if you are racing it in a classic class it has to have the original wheels/brakes?

wetdog

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
i dont think this is a race bike were talking about , for road use , i have tryed all the things rex has mentioned accept heavy cable and some of the modern cables do seam poor . is it the cable that is the weak point and to blame for the fade ?

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 08:28:05 PM »
Indeed. Sticking some mongrel Jappa front end on an expensive Meriden Triumph is only feasible if you're building a bike from bits and really don't care what it looks like or what it does to the resale value

Doesn't mean it's there forever, just helps with modern roads

wetdog

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
draged a 500 triumph out yesterday just to take a closer look , this one has a comical front wheel fitted (the bikes a 1958 3ta) . the cable is already the larger heavey weight type , skimed drum and new lineings , this brake is still poor and i would drop a jap front end in it if i intended useing it (its not standard now so of little value) but does go well , engine is a latter t100ss so the thought of slowing from @100mph with this setup concerns me , emergency stop forget it , rear wheel (QD) is A1

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
Doesn't mean it's there forever, just helps with modern roads

True enough, but then how far does anyone take that logic? Most riders seem to keep it roughly original and ride to the bike's capabilities rather than up-rate in an attempt to make it something it isn't.
If you want to stop on a sixpence wouldn't you just buy a Honda?
"100MPH T100SS"....uh-huh... ;) Not more than once though.

wetdog

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
"@100mph"............... no problem and most nights the week coming back from the pub when I was younger  8), the engine is standard single carb , 3134s R followers and it flys . buy a Honda front end I agree and most of the british bikes round here ( that are used ) are not standard and im pleased to say more are slowly coming out , bobbed , f trackers , rats , some chops (not many thank god) standard machines are to expensive so people are forced to build there own and improve them at the same time , anyone can build a standard machine

heres a bit from cycle mag (this is the twin carb version I know) they do mention the front brake

Lightweight performer
By the standards of the day, T100s were acceptably quick, reliable and comfortable. Cycle magazine tested the new Triumph T100 R in 1967 and recorded a 14.9 second standing quarter at a shade under 90mph, concluding that it had close to the performance of a Bonneville yet could be “whipped around” like a lightweight. Even the electrics came in for praise. Cycle’s only concern was the 7-inch single-leading-shoe front brake, which was described only as “adequate.”

Cycle World, meanwhile, discovered a “Jekyll and Hyde” personality: below 4,500rpm, the Daytona would work like “a strong 350”; but shifting instead at 6,000rpm, they found a whole new level of performance, and a top speed of 105mph. They also praised the T100R’s gear-shifting, ease of starting, comfort and electrics — except for the feeble horn — and found the brakes “more than adequate.” The improved handling came in for specific mention and was attributed to increased diameter frame tubes and a new fork design.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:25:25 PM by wetdog »

wetdog

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »
all this f brake talk has made me drag my old 3ta out , not been on the road since about 1976/77 some very happy memorys for me so will give it a blast for old time sake . lost the seat some how

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
That's what mates are for  ;)