Author Topic: anyone interested in old cars as well as bikes ?  (Read 66476 times)

wetdog

Re: anyone interested in old cars as well as bikes ?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
those three wheelers (one at front) where a death trap and used to roll over forwards and meant the bike then rolled over the rider , I think the US has ban them and in the UK are not for road use , I bought my kids them when they came out (Suzuki 50 and a 250 ) used once , they both rolled ,  and bought them trials bikes (Honda and beta ) far far safer . im not sure about the four wheelers but I do see some on the road , but why , would have two wheels any day

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
This is getting out of hand.
In the end it is more how the weight is distributed than anything else in the quoted examples.
But here is a thought. Why do dodgem cars at fairgrounds never have two wheels at the front?
Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 01:15:44 PM »
Two front wheels to steer is always going to be better than just one, and a two front wheel design will be extremely hard to roll. Consider that the forces which would be causing it to roll are acting in a direction at roughly 2 and 10 oclock (if the straight-ahead position is counted as 12 oclock) which in the Bond/Reliant configuration has no "support" but in the Morgan the force will be acting through the front suspension design and into the axle, ie it's well-supported.

Don't forget there were also Morgans, BSAs etc which had a water-cooled four cylinder engine set back from the between the front axle so stability is not just about the Morgan having a big old V-twin set between the front wheels.

wetdog

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
i don't think the four cylinder ones are quite as stable , I drive a morgan four cylinder quite often its a very nice car (better than my V twin jap as far more useable ) the BSA had a reputation for being unstable but I have never driven one

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »

Not sure if it qualifies as a car, but my latest treasure is a 1904 Sphinx with a fore-car attachment. It was a product of the Sphinx Motor Co. of Adelaide, South Australia, using BSA fittings for the cycle frame and a water-cooled motor from the Advance Motor Co. of Northampton. Direct drive by belt, with pedals for starting and hill climbing.

Stability? I doubt it.

Leon

wetdog

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:17 PM »
looks interesting do you know a idiot I mean hero who will ride up front to act as the air bag .

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »
That is a real treasure Cardan. Are going to restore it?

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »

Yep, motor is almost done, rear wheel built around the original hub, pedalling gear almost organised... we're getting there.

As for who might ride up front... I think I'll start with a tradesman's box rather than a wicker chair!

Leon

wetdog

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 07:35:11 AM »
"Why do dodgem cars at fairgrounds never have two wheels at the front"............... cost and turning radius , don't see any on the road round here either , maybe they don't meet SVA regs ............... are you really convinced one at the front is best , there are always weight distribution issues and with experience its been found two wheels at the front works best , if you know other wise can you guide me to the site as id like to read the articule .

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
Anyone remember the Bond"Bug",I think they had one front wheel,and were capable of high speeds.Incidentally Dodgem cars have the electric motor drive mounted on the front assy,which can turn right round to provide a reverse.Regards John.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
Yes I remember those sh*tty things. A mate swerved to void a cat and the resulting roll was terrifying he said , moreso that the thing ended up on it's roof (an upward opening canopy, remember) with him trying to force his way out through the side panels (not hard, admittedly) while battery acid and petrol dripped around him.

Not a great example of the "one front wheel is safer" concept.. :(

wetdog

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
wonder what this is like , 325 twin two stroke out , 850 mini in , i have seen this done before ( also royal enfield engines fitted) but power wise thats quite a jump i would have thought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berkeley-T60-S-E328-with-850-cc-Mini-engine-three-wheeler-Micro-car-1960-/400523171712?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item5d410a9780

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
I'd love it for a lark around in.. but not at 3 1/2 grand IMA
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »
In the 60s/70s a Famous Mini front ended trike was raced with such success that it was handicapped out of existence. When I can remember his name IŽll post it .
Aeroplanes have 1 wheel at the front and so do bonneville record breakers, Craig Breedlove?.
I think a firm in Preston is making an Isetta copy to take a modern engine.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
Owen Greenwood.

I think planes may have one wheel at the front and two at the back because they start off with a skinny fuselage and end up with two much wider wings.  Sticking a big old beam axle under the cockpit and then balancing the weight of wings + fuel tanks on a single rear wheel wouldn't please the aviation authorities... ;)

Then again smaller planes and tail-draggers have two wheels in front of the one rear, and they seem to work OK when on the ground.
So we've had dodgems, kid's tricycles and planes all mentioned. Whatever next?