Author Topic: ignition systems any good  (Read 7866 times)

wetdog

ignition systems any good
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: ignition systems any good
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »
Hi,
Yes I have fitted a few, "plug and play"  ;D
Better made than the Boyer especially the rotor and pulse plate
I believe they are manufactured in the Czech Republic by former "PAL" personnel ?????

Cheers
John

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
bought one looks good will fit monday

wetdog

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:02 PM »
not got time to finish but will this week , im useing 12v coils and if i have any starting problems i will go to 6v , it does appear so far a good quality item , just hope it works , 38 deg full advance

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
working well and starts no problem . 12v coils in series , will take for a blast and take a look at the plugs , if i break down ive been told to wave so might see if that works also . or just get the lad out in the van , when youve got a arse as good lookin as mine you have to mind who you ask for help

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »
In yer dreams.... lol
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
Hi Wetdog,
Good to hear its running

A close up of your photo shows the clutch pressure plate up against a friction plate   ??? ???
Not normal ????

John

wetdog

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
Well spotted , this clutch is running a extra plate , many years ago when I decided to go sprinting , when t100 engines where every where , and I was younger , hansom and slim (im choking up here) a old boy told me to lap with a surface plate the steel clutch plates and get another one in , being young I spent hours with a surface plate doing just that (gave me cramp in my right hand a common problem at that age ) , the result , exactly the same clutch with no difference what so ever , except if you now take the extra plate out the clutch springs go spring bound before adjustment . So don’t believe what all old boys tell you as some maybe full of sh*t  ;D ;D ;D.

Happy days found these still stuck to the shed window , is it still about Quarter master running a healy blower ? pics show how I tried to stop the barrel flange coming off , parts got to expensive , work , kids etc
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:10:36 AM by wetdog »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:37:54 AM »
That's a serious bit of surgery there. Any more details?

wetdog

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
dont get me started . what do you want to know , i will say this i wasted to much of my younger days on this than i ort to have

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
Ok, will leave alone.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
It puzzles me that this ignition is sold as a 'one size fits all'. I'd understood that Triumphs and Nortons (for instance) required quite different advance curves.

wetdog

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
i dont think (at least with triumphs ) that theres much of a curve to worry about , the old Lucas advance /ret mechanical advance was all over in 12 deg (i think will look ) and i doubt it was smoooth , this unit is rated for 10 deg , but its the full advance thats the important bit , it works well (still not been out mind) starts easy (this is where i was expecting problems should there be any) so all in all good , i am running 12v coils and not 6v or the twin end option . I would be interested if any one knows what Lucas rita system operated over , this used 6v coils and im told worked well , and ive been told storys of triumphs back fireing when the ignition was turned on which inturn gave Lucas a problem with its starter motors in the early days.

wetdog

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
finally went out and did all of 200 yards and was pinking very very bad ( im surprised it ran at all ) i contacted wassel and told them what a load of sh*t i thought the unit was and i would be sending it back (all after i had looked over it again carfully) they emailed me back and said i had set it up wrong ? should be set up at 10deg (full retarded) and there is a typo mistake in the book (section 16) should say set engine at fully "retard" position , so not 38deg but 10deg . idiots , almost engine damage

wetdog

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
this is what they say the book will say when its reprinted (to late for some )

"Yes the instruction book is misleading ( I did not write the book ) and it
will be amended in future apologies for that

My static timing figure is from the manufacturer VAPE who we developed the
Ignition kit with the unit has an in built advance curve of 14 degrees
So if the static timing is set at 5 degrees on the ignition rotor 5+14=19
X2 ( as camshaft travels at half engine speed ) = 38 degrees of crankshaft
advance which is correct for Triumph twins "

im to old and should have seen this was wrong ie set up fully advance (as i did) then the unit advances some more , im to use to locking the bob weights up fully advance and seting the timming , but when i unlock the unit retards , all this modern electronics leaves me cold