Author Topic: 1953 Terrot 125cc  (Read 117064 times)

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Terrot 125cc
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »
Hi,

I joined a German Terrot site ( http://f3.webmart.de/f.cfm?id=3307019&r=threadview&t=3999571&pg=1) and posted a question about parts (including the gas tank). 

Someone posted a response "Look Here":  http://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_moto/506611461.htm?ca=1_s   - this is a 1952 gas tank. 

I haven't contacted the person yet, but thought it might be an option until I find a 1953 model.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:07 PM »
We think you should grab it now !

A parts list would confirm that the same tank was used for years and years, until the whole look changed  ?

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 01:16:57 AM »
!!!!

I did write to the person and asked them if it was still available, so I am working on it!

As for a parts list, I have been looking (a little) on the French eBay site and could probably find something there - or Google is my friend and maybe I'll get lucky.

I'll keep you posted on my pursuit of it - haven't heard back yet, but only sent it a few hours ago.

One thing I noticed about my bike that I don't see on too many other pictures is my bike has a chrome (rusted, but still chrome) part where you put your feet when riding - it sort of passes through the frame......

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »
Something we would probably recommend is where you are buying a tank that you can't actually try on your frame -
-measure your frame and get a measurement (in millimetres) of how far apart the tank mounts/fittings are.

For example, a (completely unrelated) frame here is 360mm (about 14 inches) apart, front to back, in the tank mounts.

If you can get the seller to confirm these measurements - perhaps with a drawing of this size -  this will at least confirm that you are not buying an elephant sized tank to fit a mini minor, if you get the drift.
Although that tank looks good...

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
Now that is a very good point.  I will write to the person again (this time I will write in French, last time I wrote in English).  Maybe sometime today I'll post an update of what I've found in the past 4 weeks of doing this research.....

Thanks for the advice!

Joe

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 02:23:16 PM »
This is probably too much information, but thought I’d write and give some background on this bike.  Back in the mid-1970s my brother somehow ended up with this bike.  It was together but he was having trouble keeping it running – it would always stall, plus the gas tank leaked.  He brought the gas tank to a gas station and that was the last I saw of it. 

At some point I found the bike, all apart, sitting out behind the house.  I remember being 14 years old and setting up the wheels and motor and sitting on it and thinking, “...I’m 14 and it I could get this running by the time I get my license (16.5) that would be so cool...”  Well I just turned 50!  I put the bike in my parent’s basement to get it out of the weather – this was probably in 1979 or so.  At some point in the 1980s my brother told me I could have the bike. 

The years passed and I owned that house (this is in the early 2000s) and was having the furnace serviced.  I didn’t know it, but the guy cleaning the furnace liked motorcycles and he said to me  “that is a pretty nice bike you have over there...” to which I said “my parents thought I was nuts to keep it and my wife thinks I’m nuts to keep it...”  He put down his tool, looked me in the eyes and said, “I’d don’t think you’re nuts, not at all...”  !!!!!  My dad said many times that he wouldn’t live to see it restored and sadly he was correct.  BUT, my wife, who would say I had a bicycle with a motor and not a motorcycle, is coming around, certainly after I showed her a couple pics of restored models. 

I recently sold my parent’s house and dragged the Terrot back to my house this past July (2013).  The chrome is pretty heavily rusted due to being in a damp basement.  The entire thing sits under my porch in eastern Massachusetts.  So now that it is nearby (or underneath the porch) I have been  interested in finally working on it. 

The weird/surprising/”no way” thing about this is that I do not have a motorcycle license, have ridden on one twice in my life and do not really have any mechanical knowledge.  I have renovated a couple of houses, so I do like stripping things down and putting them back together, but this is way beyond my knowledge.  But I’m taking this on and will get it done.  I love the looks of old bikes, pre-1950 especially.  Hopefully I can keep the costs reasonable.  Thanks for reading.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
Go for it Joe. The worst that can happen is that you have to get help to do some jobs, but the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself and saved a bit of history is priceless.

Offline Don-Spada

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 08:29:56 PM »
You might want to keep an eye on this site too.  It is a kind of French Gumtree for classified ads.  looks like there is quite a bit of Terrot stuff.
http://www.leboncoin.fr/annonces/offres/centre/occasions/?f=a&th=1&q=terrot&it=1

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:32:16 PM by Don-Spada »

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 03:52:37 AM »
Hi Don,

I have been looking at that site every few days. Thanks though for the info.

I have sent the person who posted that gas tank at least 2 emails and have heard nothing, so I assumed it was sold.  I may have to call him or her - hmmm Boston to France...I wonder how much that costs!

I am about to post some pics of my bike, which is all apart at the moment.
Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »
A bit of spit and polish and she'll be good as new.  ;D

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »
Thanks  :)

I have looked on Terrot.org and they have before and after pictures which are quite motivating.  Fortunately, don't know the amount of work ahead of me to restore this, because I haven't done restored a motorcycle (or car) before.  Sometimes it is better that way......

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 03:42:39 AM »
I keep trying to post additional pictures, but for some reason they are not uploading.....

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »
So one question I have is:  all of the parts of this bike have rust on them.  I might not have time to start stripping and fixing these parts – is there anything I can do to stop the rusting between now and when I start the restore?

Also, found another gas tank (called reservoirs) on leboncoin.fr, so they are out there.   I am also missing the gear box, I believe.....

Thanks! Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
Spray everything with something like WD40 until your ready to start. Start with something small like the carby. Arm your self with some small brushes and cleaners and take photos as you pull it apart. The seat will have to be done by a motor trimmer, maybe your frame will need to be sand/bead blasted and can then be painted and set on a stand or old table and as you then restore pieces they can be fitted. I find that once the frame is painted the restore is easy from then on. Have fun.  :D

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 03:17:01 AM »
Murdo,

Thanks, the wd40 makes perfect sense - I wonder if it comes in 5 gallon containers.....

One additional question for you or the group: the numbers on my engine don't match the numbers on the frame. Does that mean anything? I know in the world of cars having matching numbers is a big deal - is it the case with these motorcycles as well?

Thanks!