Author Topic: 1953 Terrot 125cc  (Read 117074 times)

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Terrot 125cc
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2015, 01:47:17 AM »
HI,

I agree and have come to the same conclusion.  I was looking at the wheel yesterday and there are a series of holes along parts of it and it does seem like it is not structurally sound.  Time to look for a new wheel!  One good thing about the evapo rust is that it does remove rust so one gets to see the bare metal, good or bad....

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2015, 02:01:03 AM »
Hello!

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!  I hope 2016 is safe and healthy for everyone.  Thanks for the advice and encouragement this year; my goal for 2016 is to get the frame stripped and primed and to make some progress on priming some of the parts. Hope springs eternal!

Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
And to you to Joe.
Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end.

Offline peterfeets

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:10 AM »
hi,for terror parts,check out,2dehand.be or 2dehand.nl or MARKTplaats.nl .these are second sites in holland and belgium,belgium has a lot of terrot bikes,and everyone speaks english.good luck peter.

Offline peterfeets

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
hi,for terror parts,check out,2dehand.be or 2dehand.nl or MARKTplaats.nl .these are second sites in holland and belgium,belgium has a lot of terrot bikes,and everyone speaks english.good luck peter.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2016, 02:52:56 AM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for the advice - I will check them out.  I am actually going to Amsterdam in May, oooohhhhh very tempting to try and track down one of these places!!

I did make a bit of progress yesterday on the frame.  The front fork bolts were immoveable for a long time - try as I might I could not get them to turn.  Well, for about 4 months I sprayed them with WD40 every other day and just let the stuff sit.  Yesterday I turned the frame over and with a rachett I was able to loosen one of the stuck bolts! Oh yeah!!  The other two bolts need a different size rachett, but I will look into getting one soon and will give an update.  One I have the forks off I will bring the frame into get media blasted.  Can't wait.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2016, 02:48:09 AM »
So I have run into a bit of a problem and could use advice. I got 2 of 3 bolts off that attach the fork to the frame but the 3rd one is stuff.  The racket keeps slipping off and the wrench does the same. The identical bolt on the other side came off, but this one won't budge.

Any advice on loosening up this third bolt?  So close but yet so far!

Thansk, Joe

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2016, 08:21:10 AM »
I would try heating the area around the bolt with a gas torch or blowlamp and give it another go while hot.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
+1 for heat, preferably oxy acetylene.
Don't use WD40 though, it has it's uses as a lubricant but is pure crap at a release agent. PlusGas is far better, though there are others as good on the market now.

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »
Hi,

Thanks.  I need a bit of clarification as I haven't used heat previously.  Oxy Acetylene - what is that?  PlusGas - is that something I use in place of WD40 or with the heat?  This whole restoration process is opening up areas I know nothing about - that is a good thing!

Thanks again.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »
An oxy acetylene torch is a gas flame - mild or seriously hot, depending on settings.
I've removed quite a few stubborn or mangled bolts, that otherwise wouldn't budge, with a bit of heat.
If they get red hot for a moment, it usually frees them right off, no damage to anything or anyone...

A little gas flame from a propane etc torch may do the same job, I'd think that is the other one mentioned. May not be hot enough to get a red heat on the bolt though ?
hopethishelps.

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »
Oxy Actetylene is gases (as in not petrol) in two bottles that is used for welding of metals. You will find these in most engineering shops.
The propane torch is used with gases from a BBQ bottle, and can get quite hot if used with a large hand held torch on a high setting.
I have found the best rust release agent to be a product called 'Rost-off' made by the German Wurth company and available from engineering/automotive supply shops.
Glad to know you're learning Joe.  ;)

Offline JoeJ

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:22 AM »
Well as we are coming into the winter here in Boston Massachusetts USA, I am a bit disheartened to say I have not made much progress with my dear ETM. As mentioned previously I am stuck with having removed one bolt of the front fork, but the other is stuck and I've had too much house projects going on to focus on it.  But I do go to bed each night thinking about the restoration, so I hope that counts for something......

I shouldn't think of the "next" bike to restore when this one is no where near finished, but I am drooling at the thought of restoring a flat tank Terrot.....

Hope everyone is well and thank you for the advice, I will and have put it to good use!

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2016, 05:45:39 AM »
Good to hear from you again Joe. Keep at it and you will get there.