Author Topic: can anyone help me identify this old frame.  (Read 7631 times)

Offline gordfc

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
can anyone help me identify this old frame.
« on: October 27, 2013, 11:58:58 PM »
hi all, i got this frame from a friend of my fathers.. i have been told it is between 1914-1921 and either a harley or an indian (but i havent seen either with a frame like this yet)..i cant find any clear numbers yet.. here are some pics, any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
Gord

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone help me identify this old frame.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:39:47 AM »
Think this is going to be an Indian Prince, circa 1925 or so.
e.g.
http://www.imagenesygraficos.com/fondos-escritorio/data/media/144/indian-motorcycles-1925-indian-prince.jpg

Frame shape can only be mid 1920s, especially with that clincher rim, and no front brake.
Indian didn't have frame numbers until the 1930s, and HD later still,
the VIN was off the engine.

What size is marked on that tire ?

Offline gordfc

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Hi, thanks, that does look like the frame and bars etc.. the tire that is on the rear rim is 3.85-20.. and measuring the front rim I believe it is a 19"

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 01:43:44 AM »
The small-diameter Prince wheels introduced in 1927 used 25x3.30 tyres. For 1925 the Prince had a wedge tank, for 26 and 27 the tank was made to fit between the tubes of a frame like yours, and for the last year 1928 it had a more curvaceous tank to match the Indian Scout 101 styling. The only year of small wheels and a frame like yours was 1927.

Not common, but it should be possible to find the missing bits.

Leon

Edit: From the tank shape, the Prince in R's link above is 1926-7, rather than 1925 as it is labelled.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:45:26 AM by cardan »

Offline gordfc

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
thanks Cardan really appreciate the info.. wonder if its worth rebuilding (attempting to)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »

You could have fun restoring something like this, but it's up to you. These days I usually advise people to start with something that is close to complete, as restoration is not as easy as it once was. However Indians are a bit different: there is a huge industry in reproduction Indian parts. I'm not sure whether this extends to the Prince, but you could check. What you have is in good order, and if you could find a motor and gearbox you'd be well underway.

The obvious place to start is by asking what happened to the motor and gearbox that were originally in the bike!

Leon