Author Topic: Cleaning tarnished/cruddy brass carburettor?  (Read 5164 times)

Offline P.V. Motorcycles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cleaning tarnished/cruddy brass carburettor?
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
I've no access to a parts cleaner or similar, so I'm after suggestion for some sort of dip/bath that works.

Various suggestions on the net for:

white vinegar
lemon juice (with and without salt)
Tide detergent (or whatever the UK equivalent might be).

Does anyone have any practical experience of something that works?

Many thanks

Offline CaptonZap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning tarnished/cruddy brass carburettor?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:29 PM »
http://www.stain-removal-101.com/cream-of-tartar-uses.html

The following is about cartridge brass, but carb brass might respond the same.

There are many ways of cleaning cartridge cases; my personal preference is to use liquids. Several commercial cleaners are available, however I prefer to use the following. There are variations on the theme but is can be done quite cheaply. After cases are lubricated and run through the sizing die, rinse the cases in industrial thinners or acetone and then rinse at least twice in fresh water.

If cases are dirty, soak them in a solution of white vinegar and detergent (2 tablespoons of detergent to 1/2 litre of vinegar) overnight. Some make the solution hot and others add a teaspoon of common salt. Rinse again before the next phase.

To get some shine back on the cases soak them in a solution of fresh water and Cream of Tartar (1 tablespoon to 1/2 litre of water) for about four hours. Rinse at least twice in clean water and allow to air dry. Neither step is an every time item; just make sure that they are clean. It is important to note that there is a difference between clean and shiny brass.

If you want to shine your brass, another alternative is to tumble the cases using walnut shells as a polishing medium: a cheap and simple method.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Brass carbs were usually nickel plated, unless PV skimped on this ?
Probably shouldn't be tumbled, it may not stay the same shape !!

If you intended to ride this, and don't have the tools to get there, Martyn Bratby in the UK
can expertly restore most carbs to excellent finish and perfect working order.
Reasonable rates too apparently.
A good carb (and magneto) is the heart of a good riding restoration.

Offline P.V. Motorcycles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:48:19 PM »
Thanks Capton Zap - plenty to try there.

R - it's not a P.V. item (they used whatever the carb manufacturers supplied), but something which is now just tarnished base metal.
I want to avoid as much rubbing and scrubbing as I can for the same reasons as you mention, so am looking for the magic formula to dunk it in for a few hours/days.

I expect to have to re-make a few parts - the handful of steel items which won't have fared as well as the brass ones.

Nick

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:59:28 PM »
The carb makers supplied whatever finish the bike makers requested. ?
Anything to save a few pence sometimes...

Be careful with soaking brass in anything remotely corrosive for too long.
Part of brass alloys is zinc, and anything strong can eat the zinc out of the alloy,
with no going back. !
You'd do better to look for someone who can non-abrasively blast it, or gently polish it  ?

Brass can be dipped (briefly !) in chromic acid for a long lasting natural brass gleam after polishing.
Chrome shops have such facilities....

hopethishelps.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »
It's time to buy yourself an ultrasonic cleaner, PV? I bought an el-cheapo small one at an electronic hobby store just to try out the concept.
It proved the concept and is useful on small items such as carburettor parts but slow and too small to be that useful.
Friend JFerg wandered into Aldi and found one twice the size and at a ridiculous Aldi price. Much more practical and wallet friendly.
Possibly it's time to start looking into getting one for yourself. Remember they are good for cleaning ladies jewellery as well as carbie parts. When you learn how to use it, clean the managers wedding and engagement rings. She'll notice the difference.