Author Topic: triumph SU carb  (Read 3094 times)

wetdog

triumph SU carb
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
why did triumph stop fitting SU carbs to there bikes , i have had triumphs fitted with solex and both carbs suit triumphs better than Amals , was it pure costs ?

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: triumph SU carb
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:17:47 PM »
Or was it the dashpots leaking all their oil, and they were awful hard to refill under that centre spine frame...

wetdog

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
some idiots did over  fill the dash pot on the car SUs , but when fitted to the triumph bike there was next to no oil used (very very little) no plunger just a piston guide  and no hole in the top cap so this would not have been the case

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
In theory, SU sounds like a good thing....

Triumph SU Instructions
"Each month, remove the plastic octagonal oil cap and feed a few drops of thin machine oil into the orifice".
The instructions go on to describe sticking of the piston, bent or eccentric jets or needles, dirt preventing the piston rod from moving, etc etc.  All problems that Amals don't even know about.?

wetdog

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »
the oil is to keep the rod running nice , the other maybe problems I have never had , bend needles will only happen if you are clumsy and don't treat it right , this is also true of amals and all carbs , they don't just bend in service , the best part is the fuel is variable to the demand from the motor , the engines run a lot better tough out the rev range , starting does not involve poring fuel over the mag either . something bsa sorted but I don't think triumph botherd with .

just fitted to my 6T hack ready for dragon rally , this bike starts and runs a lot nicer with this carb (standard for UK) , the USA would not have them so maybe a case of USA saying jump and Turner " how high "
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:10:18 AM by wetdog »