Author Topic: b.s.a. c15  (Read 3466 times)

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
b.s.a. c15
« on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »
hope you clever people can help. i,m on my first rebuild and posted some questions ages ago and then decided to start from scratch because all i had was a bike that wouldn,t start but just backfired.  Right  the crank/conrod is all good.its had new piston rings and the barrel is sound.(so far so good) i,ve used another cylinder head as i thought there  may be a problem with the valve guides in mine  (although its old it all looks good so i,ve re ground my valves  into it )and also used another rocker box. the valve timing was set on the bench  before the cylinder head was refitted so i believe that its spot on.  its now back in the bike and has really good compression and bright spark. but its not even firing. i don,t think the plugs getting wet . i,ve had the carb to bits on the bench and it all looks o.k. but when its fitted to the bike and  you turn the petrol tap on it floods everywhere through the tickle valve.i,ve just removed the rubber connection between the carb and the air filter and when you turn the engine over petrol is coming out of the carb where the rubber joins the carb.any help would be appreciated.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: b.s.a. c15
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »
the float shut off is not doing its job , do the push rods cross on this engine ?

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
the float shut off i believe is just a little plastic gismo that fits into the groove fine when taken to bits.( if thats what you mean) and yes the push rods cross in the tube but i,m convinced i have them in the right way round .

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 09:52:58 AM »
either the float level is set to high or the shut off valve is not doing its job , is the plug showing sighs of flooding , some of the plastic valves have a small rubber tip (teopren) these are a better type