Author Topic: Front number plates  (Read 12480 times)

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Front number plates
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
Can anybody tell me when front number plates were changed from the along the guard (like English ones) to across the guard here in Australia? Did this change over date vary state to state, or was it nation wide? Any help greatfully received.   :)

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Front number plates
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
In UK front registration plates were banned in line on the mudguard because they suddenly became dangerous parts and no front plate was needed. I always had mine across the fork crowns anyway.
presumably deeply valanced mudguards with the plate on their side were OK but there was talk of being done for dangerous parts if the in line blades were not removed.
Persecution of motorcyclists by Labour Governments? Discuss.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:32:40 PM »
They weren't called 'pedestrian slicers' for nothing.

Commandos came with number plate bracket to mount the plate crossways up front ( for more wind resistance.)
Not sure when these were first introduced though.
A hunt through old magazines may show ?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:38 AM »
In UK front registration plates were banned in line on the mudguard because they suddenly became dangerous parts and no front plate was needed.

No, they were not "banned".  Front number plates for motorcycles were simply: "No longer required" (as from August 1975) and there was never any legal requirement to remove them from motorcycles that had them fitted originally. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:13:32 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:39:09 AM »
You are correct L.A.B.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

Offline wink

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:36 PM »
You ARE correct LAB, obviously I have a persecution complex.
"No longer required" That could apply to lots of things.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »
Motorcycles and motor tricycles registered on or after 1 September 2001 must only display a number plate at the rear of the vehicle.

If you ride a motorbike or motor tricycle registered before 1 September 2001 you can also display a number plate at the front, but you don’t have to.

off the gov site as it stands now ,

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
All very interesting but doesn't answer the original question. I can only say what happened in Victoria, Murdo where the changeover occurred when they changed from an all numeral rego number to a combined alpha-numerical style. This was roughly 1953ish. Not only did the State change to alpha-numerical but they also changed the shape of the plates and the method of manufacture from a stove enamelled type which chipped easily to the current pressed aluminium rectangle.
In those days rego was handled by the police and in Victoria if you lived more than 20 miles from the Melbourne GPO your local policeman kept a supply of number plates on hand to register any local vehicle. I don't think  there was a single change over day but slowly changed over a period as they supplied police stations with the new plates.
For the benefit of our English riders, the State provides number plates and  you are supposed to hand them back if you let the registration lapse. You then get a fresh set of plates with a different number when you re-register your machine.
As far as I know each State still operated as an entirely independent entity. Co-operation between States was in it's very early days so what one State did had no relevance to any other.

Cheers,

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:37:34 AM »
Thank you 33d6. This gives me a date to work to.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
Hi again Murdo,
I have seen an official publication showing more or less the full range of Australian plates and roughly when and where each one was current. I can't remember whether it was a Vic Police publication or VicRoads. Personally I'd start off making an enquiry at the VicRoads website. They're bound to have someone who knows.
Cheers,