Author Topic: Question re Villers 98cc Junior  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Sgf

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Question re Villers 98cc Junior
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:46:14 PM »
Does anyone know the correct spark plug to use in a Villers Junior engine?  I had originally assumed that the Junior and Junior Delux were largely the same, but on closer examination, my Junior engine takes a 14mm plug whereas the Junior Delux uses a 18mm plug.

Also, can anyone recommend a website selling parts for the Junior engine? There seem to be several sites selling stuff for the Junior Delux but not for the Junior.

And finally, on a similar theme, are there any sites out there with maintenance/repair information on the Junior engine? Again, I've found several sites with PDF copies of servicing information relating to the Delux, but nothing for the Junior.

Thanks in advance

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Question re Villers 98cc Junior
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 01:27:42 AM »
The factory sparkplug recommendations you seek for your engines were made for 75 octane petrol and way before two-stroke oils were invented. They are no longer particularly relevant. For that matter spark plugs have also come a long way since then as well. The working range of a modern plug is much broader than the ancient candles available when your engines were new.
On top of that, if I remember rightly the Junior de luxe took a long reach 18mm plug. I don't know of anyone still making them. Most riders just shove in a standard reach plug as being all they can find.
All of the above means that you just use the factory recommendation as a starting point and go from there.
Villiers fitted Lodge plugs as standard when your engines were new. A C14 Lodge in the Junior and a CB3 Lodge in the Junior de luxe. Lodge of course are also long gone so you need to look up a comparison chart to see what the equivalent heat range was in other makes. For example the KLG equivalent is an F50 for the Junior and an ML30 for the JDL. As spark plug makers are continually updating and improving their ranges you will have to keep tracking down modern plug charts to find todays equivalent.
Between you and me it doesn't really matter much with these engines. These are workhorses and not high strung. They are not that fussy. I have just had visitors arrive I'll answer the rest later.
Cheers,