Author Topic: clutch advice needed  (Read 5352 times)

Offline bullrush

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
clutch advice needed
« on: November 09, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »
Having just passed my test at the age of 70 I am looking for either a BSA or Triumph to use weekends. Problem which most old uns have is I am looking for a bike with a easy to operate clutch, arthritis problems.
Any ideas guys

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: clutch advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:38:49 PM »
panther 250/350

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:04 AM »
Hi Bullrush,
This is not as simple as it appears. You are enquiring about mechanically operated clutches which require regular maintenance and precise set up if they are to be light and pleasant in operation. You can have two seemingly identical bikes of which one will have a clutch a gorilla would grumble about and t'other like a babies kiss. It takes very little to move between the two.
I would suggest you beg, borrow or buy a few motorcycle books that deal in general maintenance so as to get an idea of what is required. I'd suggest the writings of PE Irving and Roy Bacon cover the subject in a useful fashion. Irvings 'Restoring & Tuning Classic Motor Cycles' or 'Tuning for Speed' or Roy Bacons Vol 3, of Restoring Motorcycles which deals solely with Transmissions will give you a solid background. There are plenty of others but those three are the foundation of them all.
In general classic bikes demand far more fussing around with to keep on top line than does a car. This is part of the fun and getting them just so gives an inordinate amount of pleasure. It costs very little but your time and time in the shed is time out of the house. Welcome to our world.
A light clutch depends heavily on you.
Cheers,

Offline bullrush

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
Tank you 33d6
It seems a bit of a minefield. I will just have to view a number of bikes to get some idea. Today I tried a 1962 T110 which was easy to operate compared to a 69 Bonny I saw last week so I guess its a case of try before you buy.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
Nortons with laydown boxes have light clutches,as there is a self servo effect as the clutch lifter contacts the pushrod.Even AMC boxes tend to have light clutches too.Dont try a Commando though.Regards John.

Offline 59Tiger

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Isn't there a hydraulic retrofit kit that can be fitted...can't remember where I read about it though.

Found it:

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Magura_Clutch_Conversion
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:33:25 AM by 59Tiger »

Offline Kiwi

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
This is a simple conversion that may be of help, they also have an easy pull option (Barnett)

http://coloradonortonworks.com/

Search for Hydraulic clutch on this site.

Offline bullrush

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:54 PM »
Thanks guys.
I never realized what a reseviour of knowledge there is out there. I finally found my bike a 57 Tbird and the clutch is manageable just.
All I want now is to inquire about the fuel being a novice to bikes.