Author Topic: Greeves Silverstone swing arm spindle  (Read 3197 times)

Offline derekm

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Greeves Silverstone swing arm spindle
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Hi Guys, just joined the forum. I ride a Hinkley Bonneville on the road (in the summer!), but have just started tearing down a 1963 24RAS Greeves Silverstone for restoration, which has been lying in the corner of my garage since the 60s!

I need to remove the swing arm spindle. The metalastics on the arm rotate OK on the shaft, but the shaft will not budge.

On the left side of the shaft  a "D" shaped washer is welded on. Why not simply a round washer? Does the flat on the "D" signify orientation for a pin or key to prevent rotation?

Apparently there are no external bolts or pins, so should the spindle eventually slide out to the left?

Should it be possible to rotate the spindle as it is extracted (see "D" shaped washer)?

I'm going to try a few days with WD40 and then a bit of heat (being careful of the metalastics). Is there anything else I should know, or any tips that can be offered, as I don't want to hammer too hard and wreck something.

Last resort would be a hacksaw, but I'd rather avoid that if possible. Time is not a factor after 48 years!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Derekm

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Greeves Silverstone swing arm spindle
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »
this sounds like a problem I had with a bsa swing arm , have you a blow lamp , I had to get so hot the rubber melted , the inner part of the bush had seized to the S/arm shaft , In the end I did cut the shaft (£23) as did not want to damage the frame , best of luck

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Greeves Silverstone swing arm spindle
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
It might be worth joining the Greeves Riders Association if you haven't already done so?
http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/membership
L.A.B.