Author Topic: HELP to identify this old bike  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Afen

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
HELP to identify this old bike
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
hi ive got this old frame and engine but need help to identify what it is here are a few pictures

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: HELP to identify this old bike
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
Hi,
Francis Barnett built like a bridge  ::) ::)
https://www.google.ie/search?q=francis+barnett+built+like+a+bridge&biw=1120&bih=820&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=NQd9VNaGA_Lg7QbUjIBA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I'm sure someone more enlightened on the various models will be more exact
Can you find any engine or frame numbers?

HTH
John

Offline Afen

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
thanks john for the help I've found these numbers

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
The engine is a 196cc Villiers 2E engine. Made 1930-40. It is rarely possible to give the exact year of manufacture. You can only say that particular type of engine was made between this date and that date. It is the cheap cooking version of the 196cc engines Villiers made at that time but can be much improved by exchanging the standard cast iron piston with the aluminium piston fitted to the 196cc Super Sport Villiers of the same era. Super Sport pistons are also easier to find.
Given the frame number the VMCC or Fanny Bee owners Club can easily identify the year of manufacture.
Finally,  Pathe News filmed a segment showing two workers from the Fanny Bee factory erecting one of those 'Built like a Bridge' frames. Its worth looking at.
All in all, a lightweight worth restoring.
Cheers,

Offline Afen

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:53 PM »
Cheers for the info 33d6 on my frame it's much appreciated unfortally I have to many vintage bikes and haven't got the room to start another one (according to the wife ) so i will be selling it

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:17:48 AM »
We'll have to divide your answer in to its relevant parts. No one has too many vintage bikes. Many have a wife who says any vintage bike is one too many. Sounds like you're normal for the breed.
Whatever happens, there will be someone out there only too delighted to get the wee beast back on the road.
Cheers,