Author Topic: excelsior pathfinder  (Read 5655 times)

Offline kyaki

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
excelsior pathfinder
« on: December 05, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
Hi, opened a crate full of rusty M/C parts believe to be a pathfinder ? has anyone any workshop manuals or parts list for one please.

Offline kyaki

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: excelsior pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »
Hi a bit more info just looked up on frame the number is D7 xxx think that makes it a 1934!.
 hope that helps with manuals etc.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 02:20:42 AM »
This model has been the subject of several recent similar enquiries here.
Search, and much will be revealed...

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:27:44 AM »
The D7 Pathfinder is interesting because it has Excelsiors own 250cc ohv engine. That is the only part which you may have some difficulty finding enough information. Not that you need a great deal.

Otherwise the bike is as most Excelsior of the period, made up of proprietary components. Burman gearbox, Lucas coil ignition and electrics, Amal carburettor, Webb forks and so on. Rarely did pre war manufacturers like Excelsior ever do a modern full workshop manual style of thing. They expected the component suppliers to provide what you seek.   

So, who you want is the VMCC library. Not only can they provide copies of much of what you are after they even have a 1933-34 Excelsior all model instruction book plus a 1934 catalogue listed. BMS used to do much the same thing but they were bought by the NMM and haven't had much of a website to check out since then. They might have it but you'll have to work to get it off them.

Finally, you may even have the de luxe version, the DE7 Chieftain. Much the same bike but with more chrome and tube girder forks. Not Webb pressed steel.

Lots of luck, it's an interesting bike of which few survive.
Cheers,

Offline kyaki

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »
HI Thanks for info, looks like i am missing plenty of parts? including the cylinder head , and the fork blades look dangerously corroded any ideas of part supplies or what other bikes were fitted with the same forks, and wheel hubs .
 Mick.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »
Webb forks were fitted to many makes of prewar bike. You might say they were the Ceirani of the 1930's. That style of pressed steel Webb were still being fitted to Ambassador and Dot way in to the early 50's. You'll just have to walk around swap meets/ autojumbles with a tape measure. They are not hard to find.

Your main issue is the cylinder head. That 250 ohv engine is uncommon. It is the hardest part to find. Your restoration stands or falls on finding one.  The cycle part of your motorcycle is standard practice for the 1930's. It will be simple enough to restore. The motor is a different story. You will need to work hard to find what you want.

Best of luck.

Offline kyaki

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Thanks again, i have come across the valves ,springs and the rocker box complete just missing the head casting!.

Offline kyaki

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »
A Quick update on engine spares , I think i must be a lucky guy i have now a cylinder head , the only other parts i need for engine are,
 Both cam followers or drawings to have made.
 the plastic cover which goes over the ign points.
 A set of head bolts or drawings.
 Any help appreciated  Mick

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »
If I remember rightly it has Lucas coil ignition. If so the points cover is the standard Lucas bakelite item of the day found on more or less any motorcycle Lucas coil ignition system. Very easily found.

Head bolts should be high tensile steel. Are probably BSF and no great drama for any reasonable machinist to measure up and make from bar stock. The greatest nonsense nowadays is difficulty in finding appropriate bar stock. The last lot I made I spent more time milling the head to the correct Whitworth hex size than I did turning down the shank and thread. Modern high tensile bolts have a much thinner head with various identifying marks forged on them. If you use them they look so obviously wrong.

If you're really desperate cam followers can be fabricated out of mild steel with heat treated silver steel pads. At least you would have a useable bike whilst you hunt up the real article. To find out what size they should be there is nothing to stop you making samples out of 3 ply or MDF and then turning the engine over by hand to measure what lift you get. You can even get a fair idea by spending an evening with a sheet of paper and a few drawing instruments. As you can't see them in the engine they don't have to LOOK like the originals, they have to WORK like the originals.
Cheers,