Author Topic: Smoking Triumph  (Read 24059 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Smoking Triumph
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
Modern oils are not designed to be burnt.They produce volumes of foul smelling smoke from a tiny amount of oil.Special piston rings,and valve stem seals are required to comply with pollution standards.My cure is to use Castrol CRB40 or Rotella DD40 oil.Note that bikes require special high temp exhaust valve seals,normal car types turn into crumbly bits from the heat.Regards John.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »
is this a straight oil ? I  run straight 40 in a velo but have never tried in a triumph twin , 

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
CRB40 is now called Castrol TectionDD monograde 40 oil.RegardsJohn.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
HI Boo,
When the engine was rebuilt was it rebored?
what brand of pistons were fitted? some of the "new" pistons available have crap rings fitted :(
T90's are also known to suffer from porosity of the cylinders when rebored :o

HTH
John

Offline Boo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »
Oil tank is standard fitment, feed to rockers is all OK. It is the same crankshaft as came out of the motor and nothing on the bottom end is changed. It has approximately 165 cc of oil in the case when drained out. Can anyone please tell me how much they get out of their sump when it is drained after use. If I drain it just after use it is the same amount as when left or a week or more, so it cannot be draining back down from the system, feed or scavenge.

Offline Boo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Oil tank is standard fitment, feed to rockers is all OK. It is the same crankshaft as came out of the motor and nothing on the bottom end is changed. It has approximately 165 cc of oil in the case when drained out. Can anyone please tell me how much they get out of their sump when it is drained after use. If I drain it just after use it is the same amount as when left or a week or more, so it cannot be draining back down from the system, feed or scavenge.
Pistons are T100 jobs from America, can't remember what make, but were supposedly good ones. If the problem was with the pistons it would smoke permanently and not just on start up. T90 pistons are crap, that's the reason why we had the rebuild and fitted a 500 top end, more choice of quality bits. I need to know how much oil is acceptable in the sump, then why it is not scavenging it.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »
is the scavenge pipe damaged , try a small extension on the pipe , maybe 1/8 , if it scavenge some oil why not all  , could it be to do with the incress in volume , have you altered the breathing   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:17:27 PM by mark2 »

Offline Boo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
Scavenge should not be affected by 500 top end as the 350 is identical, I have checked the scavenge pipe when I removed the pump last week. I connected a rubber tube to the pipe and put my finger over the pump end of the oil passage sucked and blew untill my ears popped. Nothing, not a leak anywhere.
 I checked the breather today. I blows and sucks just like any other engine. The breather system is sutch that it cannot be assembled wrong or it would not it or work at all. May try lavishing the whole engine with a plethora of engine breathers in a vain hope that it will do some good. Not holding my breath tho'.  :'(

Offline beng

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

I vote for valve guide problems. Just because someone put new guides and valves into an engine does not mean it was done right. Even if the valve is a tight fit in the guide, oil can leak between the guide and the head if the guide bore was damaged or scored while it was worked on. Most people don't know that guides should be spotlessly clean before they are driven out of a head or the deposits built up on them plow furrows in the guide bore on it's way out.

At low rpm as during starting and idle and warm-up, a cylinder and rings in good shape should not let oil up into the combustion chamber.

Even if an oil pump is in perfect working order, if the face or gasket it seals against is faulty it can let oil travel between ports, even bad cylinder or head gaskets on some bikes can let oil migrate between places it should not.

"Rebuilt" has as many definitions as there are motorcyclists.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »
I agree,some of the characters doing bike work drive the guides from alloy heads cold with a big hammer and punch.Seen plenty of heads ruined by scoring of the guide bore.There s often a considerable pool of oil round the guide due to the angle in the head.Regards John.

Offline Boo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:37 PM »
Valve guides were fitted by a chap with more experience than your average vintage bike builder. Everything looks good on the head and the bores, rings pistons etc. The biggest dilemma is, Why does it not smoke after two minutes running? When it is cold it fills the garage with so much smoke that you cannot see the back of the workshop. When warmed up, it hardly smokes at all. If it were guides, then surely it would smoke mostly on over run and not continuously. And why does it smoke less when I drain out the sump? It has to be rings and not valves. but WHY if the pistons, rings and bore are in perfect order does it smoke.
 I would still like to ind out how much oil is acceptable in the crank case when the engine is switched off.
 The only logical explanation would be that the rings are sticking in the grooves and/or it needs to warm up a little to expand and for the rings to seal properly.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 05:34:22 AM »
It does sound like oil is getting into exhaust pipes or combustion chamber.
Are the plugs really dirty/oily.

Can you cut off or block off the oil supply to the head (temporarily), take it for a short ride,
and then see if it smokes on startup next morning when cold.
Drain the sump before starting it.

If no smoke, then its in the top end, if smoke then its somewhere down lower.

Don't forget to reconnect the oil supply to the top end either.
If the ride is quite short, lack of oil won't hurt. Note short ride though.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
Excessive oil in the cylinders will cause the rings to float and pass the oil.The unit 650 manual says any more than 100cc after 5min drainback is too much.Oil does not flow down the exhaust guide when the motor is running due to backpressure in the exhaust system.However the inlet guide is subject to manifold depression,and oil flow is increased.Generally oil going down the intake will burn in the combustion chamber,and cause an oily[but dry] plug with heavy deposits,oil running down the exhaust causes bulk smoke.Sump flooding[not wet sumping] is caused by oil runback from the tank,creates bulk smoke that clears up after about five minutes,and wet black oil may run from the joints in the exhaust,depending how much oil is in the sump.Wet sumping occurs while the motor is running due to oil not returning to the tank,same result but continuous[the motor will cut out due to oiled plug sooner or later.]The Triumph manual has a whole chapter on wet sumping /flooding.Nortons are notorious for flooding after a short time stopped,and owners sometimes fit taps to the feed line.Velocette used a suction operated ball valve .Any failure will cause a seizure.I simply drain the oiltank on mine.Regards John.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 01:22:42 AM »
You wouldn't think that going from 4 ozs in the sump to 6 ozs would make a vast smoky difference ?
Especially since he sez that no more drains down if left longer....

Offline Boo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
Plugs are oily and black, as expected from burning too much lube. All parts were inspected and fitted very carefully. There is plenty of compression, tere is very little oil going to the top end as I can see it through the clear plastic feed pipe. I have double checked the  oil return pipe and there are no leaks. ISTILL need to find out how much oil is in the crank case of a 500 or 350 twin. It seems strange that I have the same in two bikes, yet only one is smoking. Can anyone please help with this?
 Meanwhile I am going to ride it and see if it get better or worse. If worse ten I will pull off the top end and have another look at the pistons and rings.