Author Topic: Indian Scout gearbox 1926  (Read 63 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Indian Scout gearbox 1926
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »
I have a 1926 Indian Scout gearbox apart,and the bearing behind the clutch drum is a tapered roller,and has had the outer race ground back to suit the space available.The bearing should be a angular contact ball,but must have a narrowed outer race.Dimensions are standard 35x72x17 for the inner race,but the outer needs to be 14 mm wide to fit in the housing.Maybe Ill just leave the taper roller in place,its been there for who knows how long......Where is the best place to get the correct bearing?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Scout gearbox 1926
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »
If it really is 35 x 72 x 17 it's a 6207 and available just about everywhere including on-line. Are you sure it's a metric bearing though? My Chief is resolutely bearing-ed up with Imperial bearings.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Indian Scout gearbox 1926
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
The inner race is 17mm wide ,but the outer race is only 14mm,and that is the space in the housing.The thin web inside the housing has already been broken away in parts,but with a taper roller that doesnt matter......Incidentally,the bearing should be a angular contact,not a plain ball.So far I havent got to the sprocket bearing,the nut is very tight,and is going to need a rattle gun.Assuming its right hand.I have the army Chief manual,and its not a great help........it doesnt mention that both clutch side threads are left hand,excepting the inside nut on the clutch body.