Author Topic: pre unit thunderbird oil leak  (Read 4353 times)

Offline bullrush

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
pre unit thunderbird oil leak
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:48:56 PM »
After a run there appears a large patch of oil about 2 table spoons full coming out of the breather pipe. Its a 57 T bird pre unit.
Any idea's guys

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: pre unit thunderbird oil leak
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
We are not so sure that oil coming out a breather qualifies as a 'leak' ?!
On Nortons, that is directed onto the chain, to keep it lubed.
Unless its excessive, its probably considered normal.

The racer guys breathe it into a coke can or similar.
Keeps it off the scenery and the rear tyre....

Offline bullrush

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:11:09 AM »
Thanks Karma

These olduns are a bit different from the modern bikes.

Offline beng

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »

Bull, eventually the companies that made the popular british twins routed the breather to a fitting on the top of the oil tank , and the oil tank had a second fitting on it that was the system breather.

Often a later oil tank with this factory modification can be retrofitted, or the current oil tank can be competently modified by adding the necessary features and fittings so your bike captures and re-uses the oil it spits out it's crankcase breather.

If you take your time and research this, and find a first-rate fabricator it can be done so that it is not even noticeable, and it will simply make your bike more practical and attractive to you and future owners.

My current road bike had such a primitive breather system and luckily it's manufacturer added a breather "tower" to their oil tanks later in the very manufacturing year my bike was made, so it was very easy for me to swap in the improved oil tank, just as it was very easy for me to make a few small changes to the electrical system and end up with 12V electrics, a better charging system and brighter lights. All of which are easily changed back to standard by whoever feels the need in the future.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »
take a pipe from the breather and route it to the back of the rear mud guard , latter triumph used "D" section from primary , when they where told to stop this they pushed it back into the breather box , it was a problem but the engine must breath , if it gets to annoying there are other breather systems to use but does involve some none standard parts , the standard breather is not enough if the bike is to be rode hard .