Author Topic: new member  (Read 3744 times)

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
hi I am a new member, my project is a 1969 bsa lightning (export model) the bike is very near completion and I have purchased a couple of water slide transfers one for the frame and one for the top of the tank, does any member know the best way to seal these, to stop them peeling/scraping off? thanks in advance

Offline Cavesurfer

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »
Possibly a coat of lacquer over the top after the transfers have been applied. Many modern bikes have tank transfers and stickers applied rather than names painted on, and then a coat of lacquer applied afterwards.

If you can afford a second set of transfers I guess it would make sense to run a trial first on a test piece made up with the same paint etc., rather than risk trashing your hard work if it doesn't
work well.

Hope this helps.
1999 Honda VTR Firestorm
2000 Honda VTR SP1
1956 Excelsior Condex C1...I think...

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 10:47:40 PM »
Marine varnish was often suggested as the protective coat for decals.
Some of them have a yellowish tint to them though.
And that test of a spare one is always a good idea.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 10:59:36 PM »
nail varnish

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »
I find acrylic aerosol works well. If you only want to cover a small area, spray some into the cap and use a camel hair brush or similar - leaves no brush marks.

In the past people used to recommend polyurethane but that goes yellow and is hard to get a good finish on especially when only applied to the transfer.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
thank you for your suggestions, I did get a spare set and will try one as a sample, the petrol tank one is the biggest worry as it has been professionally painted and does not really need the transfer as it is on the top of the tank, but I am trying to get it as it was new, so it will have to be right first time, thank you again for the advice