Author Topic: Vintage white wall tyres.  (Read 32427 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vintage white wall tyres.
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »
Agree those FN forks look a bit messy, but they are not Earles forks. They are FN own.
I was once on a french rally and a guy riding one had such a big grin on his face that when I saw one of a similar age here I bought it sight unseen.
That had the later version which was rubber sprung, frot and back. With the large saddle, as needed by fat belgian arses it was one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden over rough surfaces.
Nice well built  engine with a design link to Sunbeams, only drawbacks was the clutch which was a sod to dismantle without the right tool, and one of those kickstarts which stubbed your toe everytime.
Yet another bike I wish I'd kept.

Offline smartfella

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »
My pleasure. It's a most interesting bike, in fact the New Henley frame cause quite a stir at the Shows at the end of 1927 where it was rated one of the best new designs.

One interesting part of the design is how the gearbox mounts. I think there's a bolt in casting that has the slots for the two-stud top-mount Burman gearbox. This seems to be missing from your bike? It would be worth finding or making one, as this is an important part of the design.

Good luck with the restoration,

Leon

Hi Leon.

I have had to change the use of the Albion gear box as it just did not work right. On your advice I started looking for a Burman gear/clutch and found 1.
Do you have anymore details on the gearbox mounts that would help me make 1. I don't think I will find 1 for sale anytime soon.

Any info would be great.

Regards

Marty

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »

Hi Marty,

Sorry, I've posted all the relevant info I could find. I've just had a look but can't see a patent, so there probably wasn't one. Here's detail from the drawing I posted earlier in this thread.

I see two ways forward.

1. Just fabricate a "bridge" to hold your gearbox. Draw out a plate for either side, parallel through the centre, with an ear at each end to go down to your bolt holes. Cut it out of cardboard to make sure it is going to fit, then gut it out of 1/4" mild steel plate. (These days get it cut by laser/water/whatever - probably cheaper and quicker.) Get another piece of steel the width of the frame lugs, maybe 3/4" thick, and appropriate length. On the underside, mill out a slot to match the ridge on top of the gearbox, and two slots to suit the studs. Weld or bolt your plates on either side. Bingo.

2. Beg or borrow or make a pattern for the correct piece and have it cast. It's easy if you have the right friends, difficult otherwise!

Good luck,

Leon

Offline smartfella

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »
Thanks Leon,

I will let you know how I get on.

After a lot of searching and elimination of info that I have and was sent I now know what I have.
A 1928 New Henley model 7 De luxe semi-sports 350cc.

:-)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2015, 07:37:57 AM »

Brilliant. It's a very interesting machine and I hope you can get it back on the road.

Leon