Author Topic: Buying a Bike from Italy  (Read 10641 times)

Offline John Taylor

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Buying a Bike from Italy
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:25:50 PM »
Advice please.

If I buy a bike from a private individual in Italy, assume I pay by PayPal, he will cover the shipping costs.

What other costs will I have to pay and what paper work will I need to obtain from the vendor, shipper or anybody else.

Your help would be appreciated.

JohnT.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Bike from Italy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »
how old is the bike and where was it built ? I would not use paypal for expensive items (which for me is any item over @£5000) , it can also get complicated for both seller and buyer . I would want to see any machine over £5000 so a nice road trip

Offline John Taylor

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
It's a MotoGuzzi Lodola, value circa £2k. I thought by using PayPal I would have some protection. Plus I have bought lesser value stuff of this fella without issue.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »
if you know him then why not , do paypal cover motor sales ? and why use it ?  you may still have to pay a tax I think its now called NOVA? unless its in parts , I have bought bikes back from and taken too  , Italy , Austria , spain france , always in large lumps with no problems or duty , some where british some not , things may have changed as im going back over 15 years

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
Have bought a couple of bikes with PayPal with no problems. You might have taxes to pay to get it back into the country.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
The rules have changed regarding imports and there is some confusion about whether a NOVA certificate is required. It's worth looking at the appropriate HMRC web pages: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline John Taylor

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:45:27 PM »
The rules have changed regarding imports and there is some confusion about whether a NOVA certificate is required. It's worth looking at the appropriate HMRC web pages: https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

Thank's for that. I had a look and this statement was among a lot of other stuff.   
"You don’t usually have to pay VAT if you’re importing a second-hand vehicle and the VAT was paid in another EU country". 
Are they referring to when the vehicle was new whoever bought it in Italy must have paid some kind of tax (even in 1952 or thereabouts). So does this mean I will not have to pay vat. How do I find out?

JohnT

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:45 AM »
Did the EU exist in 52 , there was import duty on vehicles from Europe still in the late 90s unless they were built here , you might want to bring this in dismantled to be on the safe side or  build the cost  of any duty into the purchase , you need to look at the new NOVA situation very carefully

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:08:26 AM »
If you are going to have the machine picked up and freighted by professional vehicle/motorcycle carriers,then they will be conversant with all the requirements and latest regulations/taxes.If you are going to pack up the dog in the old Vauxhall Velox and trailer and take off for sunny Italy then you can easily dismantle the bike somewhat before packing it into the trailer for the return journey.Regards John.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
If you are going to pack up the dog in the old Vauxhall Velox and trailer

Is it still 1955 in Oz? ;D ;D

they've all rusted away here long ago.

Our customs are a law unto themselves and will do whatever they want. They have more power than the Police.
1977 I came back from Spain, in the back of the van was a Rudge, an AJS big port, and a Brough 680,  draper spring frame; sounds good but they were well rough.
At 3am customs were very bored; pulled me over and went through the van, then started on the bikes,trying to suss a value to charge duty on; their reference point?
....a copy of Exchange and Mart, not exactly full of adverts for same bikes.
Stymied, they pulled a figure out of a hat, reduced it by my personal allowances, and worked out 37p duty for each bike. An unbelievable waste of time for all concerned.
You cannot question or challenge HMRC, on anything. I have had worse experiences with them in 30yrs of back and forth vists and trade.

It'd be interesting to know how the OP got on?

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »
They don't rust here, just get left in the paddock after kids have thrashed them until they stop.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »
Our paddocks are now housing developments to accomodate lots of nice newcomers, or at least those who do not wish to live near them.

As for rust, I park my cars under trees, no other choice, and if they are left for a fortnight they start to go green.

The roof of one of the cars is covered with snail tracks, window surrounds have moss growing in them,  its why I am not car fussy.

Shall I send you a pic of some grass? I hear you have none? :o :o ;) ;) ;)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 05:57:55 PM »
So did the OP buy the Lodola or not? The DVLC seem more concerned about the NOVA issues than the HMRC themselves, but then we can thank all the free-movement Europeans and their VAT scams on new cars for this little piece of red tape nonsense.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 09:46:03 AM »
I left this under a tree in my garden , 23 years , time flys