Author Topic: Whats this Norton ?  (Read 17513 times)

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Whats this Norton ?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »
I am over 55 and do not remember to many being scrapped (unless a bantam) they where much cheaper in the 60s granted , as for price its dictated by demand and filters down from Vincent brough velo etc  to the lower end I think its the same for cars , I will buy any complete  british bike for 30p kilo or about 15p lb and would advise anyone else to do the same .

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »
30p a kilo is a sarky answer to not an offer to treat. ;)

I don't know how well you know London but 1965/6/7/8-ish at the eastern end of the Hammersmith flyover about where the big M&S store is was a large demolition site where peopel could drive in and leave their old bikes and cars; this was because at that time there was a massive problem with old vehicles being abandoned on the streets. I have seen some desirable [these days] bikes in there, I remember heaps all jumbled up, and burrowing into one to remove a first class BTH mag off an alloy engined Triumph twim for a few bob slippe dto the guy in charge, I'd remove tank badges and leave them on a post behind the fence to recover on my way home from the 59 club.
plenty of bikes scrapped or abandoned in gardens and so on; I bought a T100 for a fiver, noend of small stuff, I'd ride around onthe top of a bus looking into gardens, if I saw a likely looing prospect I'd knock on the door and ask..... 3 answers likely,#1 take it away son for gods  sake, #2 its 10 bob, or  #3 eff off.
Ariel leader, a Tiger cub, a pre war 250 BSA, a 1945 C11,  couple C12, a B31alternator bike, several AMC 350's cheapest £1.50 all runners or needing minimal work.were some I remember
I never bothered with mopeds, WD Enfield, M20s or 16Hs.
the junky stuff included a 1930 RE V twin, under hole in a shed for about 30yrs, a beautiful little pre war NSU, so corroded on the alloy, a 1928 Raliegh 250
My pre-war pride and joy belonged to a guy that would never part with it, when he died his widow paid a neighbour to take it away, he robbed the chair off it and took it to a dump, from where it was rescued by a backyard breaker who swappped it with me for bits of the £5 T100.

My brother bought his first bike, a James for 14quid from an Oxfam shop, belstaffsuit and helmet included

They were happy days for the old bike fan.
The stuff that came to light  in the great building clearance projects was amazing, a bike and side bricked into an air raid shelter, I knew off two under flooorboards, one behind a piano, another behind a lathe covered in oil, it was mint when washed, a TR5 in  a loft, a V twin James in a skip, I missed that one by minutes.

No way these days a young bloke canget hold of a interesting ike so cheap or free
Even Motorcycle Mechanics  magazine GAVE AWAY a running 1150cc Royal Enfield back then.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:32 AM »
For 30p a kilo,I will fix you up with all the British iron you want.The price has actually crashed to 2c/k[1p] in the last few weeks.My last bin was just on 10ton,and they held to the offer price of $120/ton.The woman in the office was doing me a favor,next bin $35 a ton.Not bikes but AECs,Coles, Fodens,Leylands,Commers,all the cream of pommy engineering when they still knew how to do anything.Regards John.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »
I will buy any complete  british bike for 30p kilo .

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
I confess ,I do still have heaps of British bike stuff.It amuses me when young guys lob up to the door expecting me to give them something"so they can restore it".Anything they manage to beg buy or steal goes straight onto Ebay.The local vintage club was trying to con "old farts like you" into donating a bike so young members could restore it.Well sez I" Whats wrong with an eighties jappa?I can pull one from the scrap free for you"Sez the young uns"No ,we want a Brit bike coz eighties jappas aint worf nuffink"Scrapping starts again in earnest on 1 Feb 2016.I just hope the Chinese economy hasnt gone belly up by then.Regards John.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »
I have had a very similar experience when a friend needed a project for him and his son to restore together, I let him take a 1975 bonny which was a big mistake as they loosely assembled it and sold it on eBay, he said his son wanted a car? But back to the point here , trying to value a British bike related to the material it is constructed of is alike to valuing a Van Gogh  on the cost of the oils used, there is no correlation or sense

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »
you are right, but have missed my point.
I get daft sods coming up to me at rallies whose only interest or conversation is the value of old bikes, either that or its a comment about how much the number plate is worth,  scrap value is about all its worth as scrap metal composing some old bike.
Its my way of shutting up such people as as far as I am concerned my bikes will never be for sale in my lifetime. Therefore their cash value is zero.
Their real value is in the pleasure I have had from them,the adventures I have had with them which are priceless.
Just like the Van Gogh.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 06:31:03 PM »

Their real value is in the pleasure I have had from them,the adventures I have had with them which are priceless............. my thoughts exactly , very happy days even the miles ive pushed them

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
I am also happy remembering the days when I pushed bikes home, because I like to recall when I was capable of pushing a bike further than from outside the shed to inside the shed` >:(

I must have been fit, my house was halfway up a bloody long hill.
another bit of nostalgia was bringing all that non running tat I bought home by train, those were the days, never too far from a railway station, buy a ticket for it and heave the bike into the guards van.
Me and my brother knew every Southern region station with lifts and no stairs on the way out.

Way way back I siezed a pre war Matchless I'd thrown together from bits, belting down a hill on the Hastings side of Winchelsea, so a very long push up the very steep  hill opposite, then a long coast down to the station and an hours wait, but one change and I was home which then was just 500yds rom the station.

No recovery services in them days, so another thing to make you fond of vintage bikes is they ain't nearly as heavy as modern ones.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »
the last bike I pushed was not british but a guzzi le mans and 25 miles from home , after 50 yards (why? )I gave up and left it by the side of the road (it was insured)  I went back 2 days latter with a trailer and it was still there  :'( must have been a nice area , I will never buy a Italian bike again , it must have owed me £10,000 when I sold it for 6 as a none runner as I cold not even bring myself to  look at the bike  , from that day on its british bikes only

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »
John K, with your guess at where they may of come from one was spot on :) Well done. I have the rudge and Triumph Tiger 110 in bits is on the way. I have left the Norton but passed on info to one of my friends who is probably going to take it. Seems like you said there are quite a few old British bikes out in that part of the world and its nice to have a contact out there like I have. Sorry I will not be passing on his name ;)
I will do some good photos of the old frame and do a re post as I have yet to ID it, its so much like a Triumph but not quite right. Maybe its a European bike frame of some sort?.
           Cheers, Jon 

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »
I hope not Bulgaria as I have someone looking there now , he has found me some real rubbish but no british (yambon)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
I take it you are not keen on Voshkods or Saturns?Regards John.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
not my thing nor urals etc , there are some being sold on ebay and they will do cash on delivery ?

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 10:44:27 PM »
Mark2, get your guy to look harder ;) Mind you better be quick :)
         Cheers, Jon