Author Topic: The Wardill - Replica build  (Read 17519 times)

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Wardill - Replica build
« on: December 19, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
Hello All

A while back I asked some questions regarding the Wardill Motorcycle, and mentioned that I would like to build a replica, well I am pleased to announce that I have started the build of a replica,

I am currently on a large fact finding mission, tracking down the make of many of the parts, I have made quite good progress,

Here are the reference photos I have for the build.

My plan is to build as much of the frame as i can, to get a rolling chassis, while working on the engine too.

for those who haven't seen my original posts, the Wardill Motorcycle , used a bespoke Wardill Engine with an internal annular non firing piston that worked as an internal supercharger. this can bee seen in the following photograph.

I have also managed to buy the correct 21" beaded edge wheel.

I have also purchased the correct Brampton Forks, this has now allowed me to check the dimensions of my 1:1 print, so that I can start measuring the frame, I will be ordering some tube soon to start the build!

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Wardill - Replica build
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
interesting ,looks like the oiling system was worked on , was this a problem

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 04:35:19 PM »
hello, I have no idea, but haven't read anything that would suggest it was an issue. what makes you say that?

Thanks

Mark

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
The engine looks busy on the timing side , so im guessing by not using the crankcase pressure the fuel oil mix  normally used with 2 strokes is not used here so needs a lubrication supply for the pumping outer piston and big end  , interesting

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
Ahh I see what you mean, I have always had thoughts on the oil system, it uses a Best and Lloyd oil pump, and a separate oil tank within the fuel tank, you can just make out the second filler cap and oil line in the pictures above. there isn't currently an engine built, just the patent drawings, so we are learning all the time.

also my knowledge of two stroke engines is not what it could be ;)

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »
wish I could see more but looks like a metering valve at the rear of the cylinder which I would guess is for the outer pump thing

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Here are some additional Photos, its the earlier version of the engine with a single exhaust port, the later had dual ports, I have circled what I believe you are referring to as a metering valve.

photo showing path of oil line (this is the pre production bike using a Grigg frame)

later Dual Port Engine

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:47:39 PM by AxlFoley »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
An interesting project. Good luck with it.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 07:13:24 AM »
nice , the metering variable valve which I think I can see is on the rear of the cylinder and not shown on the illustration (maybe the wrong angle) if your building the engine from scratch I would build two , the lubrication may take some getting right first time

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:42 PM »
Mark, second attempt, is this what you are referring too ?

I am planning on using some modern technology to help with the build, I have had the engine drawn in AutoCAD inventor, this will enable me to print the parts in 3D to use for casting, I have to fine tune the 3D cad first though, some parts aren't 100% spot on.

A short video of the engine in motion.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »
An interesting and ambitious project which would have been almost impossible just a few years ago, now with all this modern hi tech  engineering stuff it's feasible.

Coming soon, 3D printed desirable veteran bikes?

A time machine would be better so I can nip back and stop myself flogging all those bikes I  should have kept.

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 10:40:32 PM »
Yeah 3D printing is amazing, I should be able to print most of the engine parts off and make casting moulds.

I wouldn't mind a time machine so that I could find out where the two bikes that were built ended up, I cant imagine they were ever scrapped!!

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 10:54:04 PM »
yes that looks like a metering valve , the cad shows the outer and inner piston sweeping to be level (tops) is this the case , and have you calculated the pump displacement volume and comp ratio , it is interesting , does it run inner and outer rings on a common sleeve

Offline Wardill

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 11:15:37 PM »
Mark, the charging piston has a  CC of 407cc and the firing piston is 346cc, the charging piston gave approx. 12 - 14lb of boost at 5000rpm I'm still not sure about the sleeve, I believe there may be a common sleeve, but they may swipe against each other, the charging piston doesn't run any rings at all.

Offline mark2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
the top of the charging piston looks to have a ring and I think it must have a sleeve (looks like a spigot at the top of barrel) as the piston appears to have rings fitted , 12/14 lb is very high for petrol and the heat generated must be difficult to lose where did you get these figures from  , I have read it did well being raced and I wonder on what fuel , it would be great to hear one run and im guessing your casting in iron , keep us posted on the progress please http://www.odd-bike.com/2014/02/dkw-supercharged-two-strokes-force-fed.html    5000rpm for any mag is asking a lot
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:08:18 AM by mark2 »