Author Topic: Villiers powered machine  (Read 3093 times)

Offline BobH

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Villiers powered machine
« on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:15 PM »
I have been asked to identify a pre-war bike which has a Villiers Mk17A engine with engine number BYX833 and frame number C 39545.
From the engine number I can ascertain that it was manufactured around 1935-38 (1934 from Villiers Singles and Twins by Roy Bacon) but i have been unable to identify the frame number in order to identify the bike. The nearest I have come is Excelsior which had frame numbers commencing with a C but apparently Excelsior used the model number as a prefix to the frame number. Could it be a Fanny-B?

Regards
BobH

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Villiers powered machine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »
Any pictures Bob?

Offline BobH

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
Trying to get some photos of the frame / Bike from the owner. Don't hold your breath.

BobH

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:04:40 AM »
Are you sure the frame number commences C3 and not C5? You broadly describe a 1933 C5 Excelsior and would be far from the first to misread a poorly stamped number.
About this time Excelsior started to stamp frame numbers transversely across the head stock behind the head lamp and are notoriously awkward to read.
Cheers,

Offline BobH

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
I will try to get the owner to recheck the frame number and also tell me where on the frame he found it, plus in what orientation was it stamped.

Regrds

BobH