Author Topic: 1959 Triumph 3TA  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Prof

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
1959 Triumph 3TA
« on: July 07, 2016, 10:00:14 PM »
Hello All,

I'm a recycled teenager who has got got his old Triumph back in bits and who's understanding of mechanical engineering begins and ends with setting a mouse trap.

The sorry tale begins in 1985 or 86 when aged 17 I bought a Triumph 3TA with ape hanger handle bars a chrome head light on a stalk of a bloke called Derek from Hemelhempstead in a pub in Glastonbury. A couple of my mates did a nut an bolt (read hammer and chisel)  "restoration" on the bike and I brush painted it black and attached a Panther side car to it.

Then it spent time in a cow shed, before I gave it one of the aforementioned machanics when I went to live in London. He managed to fry the whole thing in a shed fire before putting all the charred bits in tea chests, and stored them in a garage for the last fifteen years or so.

I've now got it back and have started my own version of a hammer and chisel restoration on a budget of sweet F.A. So far I have transfoprmed a charred heap of rusty junk in to a cleaner heap of shiney junk, I got the Haynes manual and the older workshop and parts books but I know sweet FA about mechanics. Please bear with me as I will probably be asking a fair few stupid questions on the forum. Here goes.........

The front fork bushes seem to have a lot of play and certainly aren't tight in the stantions, would I be right in thinking they need replacement along with seals?

The threads on the rear wheel drive are in poor order but the rest works. Is there any way I can reuse / repir the unit?

That'll do for now, more to follow as I stumble through the rebuild.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Kind regards

Prof
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:04:50 PM by Prof »

Offline murdo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1959 Triumph 3TA
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »
Welcome.
If it has been through a fire the seals and bushes would definatley need replacing, in fact all seals throughout the engine too.

Offline Prof

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1959 Triumph 3TA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
Many thanks,

The post should have read the 'the threads on the rear wheel speedo drive' any info on this appreciated.

Prof