Author Topic: bsa a65 lightning  (Read 7170 times)

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
bsa a65 lightning
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »
I have spent 2 years rebuilding a 1969 bsa lightning and it now is ready to ride, however due to a hand/finger issue I cannot operate what seems to me as a rather stiff clutch, its new and so is the cable, does anybody know is its possible to in any way make it lighter and more usable for a invalid oldie like myself or have I got to get rid and forget about british bikes altogether? thanks in advance for any ideas  :-[ 

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: bsa a65 lightning
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:58:51 PM »
You sure the clutch is set up correctly? Shouldn't be that hard to pull, but these things are all relative. Anyone you know got one to compare with?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
I obviously don't know how acute your problem is, or how hard the clutch pull is, but you could try a 7-plate clutch kit as that should allow you to fit lighter clutch springs. A Teflon-lined Venhill 'Featherlight' cable should also lighten the clutch action. Or even one of the hydraulic clutch conversion kits available for British bikes now?

http://britishbikebits.com/7-plate-clutch-conversion-triumph-bsa#.V8M_OjXCvAo

https://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/cat_details.php?p_head=7%20Plate%20Clutch

Another alternative would be one of the special belt drive 'dry' clutches but that could get expensive!

http://www.bobnewbyracing.co.uk/index.html
http://www.britcycle.com/products/hayward_belt_drive_kits.htm
L.A.B.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »
I'd look at cable runs first, tied too tight to the frame, awkward bends, go for operation rather than tidy looking cables.

Have you replaced the handlebar lever? replacement ones are often crap with the pivot all wrong.

Sure they are the correct springs?

I don't remember those BSA clutches as particulary hard to operate.

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:29:32 PM »
You sure the clutch is set up correctly? Shouldn't be that hard to pull, but these things are all relative. Anyone you know got one to compare with?
I think it is, it has had a srm rebuild with their modified brand new clutch, and a brand new ons cable, I have tried lubricating the cable and re routing it, the result is to me still stiffer than it should be, but its 40 years since mucking about with these brits and my memory is vague, I need to sample a few on recent rebuilds, it would be a pity to have to get rid, because theres a lot of money/work involved, and was looking to use this machine in the summers to follow, I might have to look into the hydraulic option which at present know nothing about, or even if available, does anyone know if a longer leaver assembly is available if so it could help  :(

Offline marty 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 09:43:55 PM »
I'd look at cable runs first, tied too tight to the frame, awkward bends, go for operation rather than tidy looking cables.

Have you replaced the handlebar lever? replacement ones are often crap with the pivot all wrong.

Sure they are the correct springs?

I don't remember those BSA clutches as particulary hard to operate.
I have checked the cable runs and think that they are ok srm rebuilt the engine, with their modified clutch so confident its right the leavers have bee replaced, and think your right about the quality, there seems to be excess play on the pivot/screw and it does seem wrong, would new better made ones if available, be a option? or more wasted money

Offline dunboyne

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 01:34:42 AM »
is it the correct fulcrum , would a different one work ?
keep her lit

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 03:14:41 AM »
If you have all the clutch mechanism spot on and still find it's a physical issue with you (you're not alone) you can buy what is known as a clutch lightener. This is a very simple matchbox sized device that fits on your clutch cable to alter the leverage and thus effort required. It is not expensive (under 20 quid) so is a cheap way of finding out whether your days of big bikes with heavy controls are over or not.
Commonly they are an old trials bike fiddle and can be used to make clutches lighter, front brakes more effective and throttles less sensitive. Hunt though the www.trialsbits.co.uk site and you'll find it illustrated.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
Cheers,

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:40:14 AM »
I have an A65 and on completing the restoration I had what I  thought was stiff clutch operation that turned out to be the nipple in the lever binding a bit of lubrication solved the issue now have a light clutch sometimes it is the simple things that we overlook.