Author Topic: new member with a odd bike  (Read 5101 times)

Offline oldpugjeff

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
new member with a odd bike
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
hi every one, im jeff from just outside whitby. after ridden lots of jap bikes, most of them clasiics, i have bought a vintge bike. she is a 1952 peugeot type 55. if anyone has built, or even heaard of one any info would be cool. what i rally need is a direction towards a workshop maual.  i'm going to try and start a build thread over the weekend, but it might be slow for a while lol
jeff

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: new member with a odd bike
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
We've been here before? Old french bikes.

No such thing as a workshop manual for old French bikes.

All info availiable will be in French, how good is yours?

Best place for spares, France. I can supply addresses if you are serious.

I think I can help with magazine articles, as long that is, you are not like little miss peter prissy  the other Peugeot owner on here a couple weeks back?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:25:26 PM by mini-me »

Offline oldpugjeff

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
why was that? and my french is terrible, but some sites to get bits from would be cool. mainly need to know how the grease damped forks come apart, and the back plungers. also need to get a spark plug but again i am unsure which to get. been years since i woked ona two stroke and have never worked on a bike as old as this one, so any help would be great.
jeff
google translate is my friend, but sometimes maakes it a headache to read. lol
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:15:17 PM by oldpugjeff »

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »
Lots of folk around with old french bikes they are regretting buying. They are brought back by antique dealers and speculators trying to cash in on  the present daft old bike prices. Generally they know eff all about bikes of any kind.

The french are off loading all their old tat because its now impossible to put one back on the road without original paperwork.

Back in the 1950s a workshop manual was almost unheard of, even for british bikes.

French bikes like this Pug were quite robust, being the working mans transport, the little Pugs are quite nice if dull. Can be pretty according to your taste.

Be prepared for it to be totally clapped out.

best sources of spares, but only mostly repro.

Chambrier et fils http://www.chambrier.com/

Macadam deux roues http://www.macadam2roues.com/fr/

and one other i forget, will look it up

Try ebay.fr but its nothing like ebay uk for spares.

Au bon coin is worth a try, as is http://www.lesanciennes.com/
Do not expect any french advertiser to answer in english, even if they can, although a couple of the commercial sites will, and take visa/paypal

There  is a Peugeot owners club, in France, natch, I expect they are well fed up by now with requests for rare spares from UK for these bikes, dozens of these scrappers have been brought over in the last few years.

Of course its a good excuse to go to france to vist an autojumble, or bourse.

You may need to make a tool to dismantle the plungers, almost certainly to reassemble.

why not post a pic or 2?

PM me, I have a cross reference list  french-english technical terms, far better than google translate.

I'll see what else I can dig out.

NGK will sort you a spark plug. Its nowt special.

PS. As I am a bad tempered and intolerant old git please speak proper english to me, I am not "cool" nor "down wiv der yoof speak like" ;)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Lots of folk around with old french bikes they are regretting buying. They are brought back by antique dealers and speculators trying to cash in on  the present daft old bike prices. Generally they know eff all about bikes of any kind.
The french are off loading all their old tat because its now impossible to put one back on the road without original paperwork.

This paragraph should be embroidered onto those old sampler things and hung in every house of the "I really like the Art Deco look of old French bikes" dreamers.
Reality.

Offline oldpugjeff

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
oh bugger, bought her because she is solid. meybe should have joined a forum first.might have make the best of a bad job? possibly an engine change.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:10:15 PM »
several encouragements sent by pm.

Generally I keep old folks hours, 9pm -4am
up far too bloody late now