Author Topic: BMW forks onto a Commando.  (Read 8748 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BMW forks onto a Commando.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:33:38 PM »
he's only got a frame,probably not got the forks yet or the rest of the bike.

It's a shame to ridicule a fellow rider but I have met a lot like this  over half a century on bikes, which is why I get very cynical.

There was a bloke on another well known site who was constantly asking daft questions about how to build bikes from the most bizarre parts, he was a fat burger chef who did not even have a bike license, or abike, even when he was offred one for free he came up with excuses.

I lost patience with him much quicker then the others, then again I was in the bike trade and had met many like him.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Oh yeah, I remember that now.
On the same site they're currently discussing to the nth degree how to remove a head race. Dremels, multiple pullers, strange contraptions and turning up a threaded bar.
How did anyone get on before the days of t'Interwebby, and advice from random school teachers and retired opticians?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
It's only a Commando, there are thousands about.

If he's serious about it, why not? Other than that it's probably a waste of his time.

Better than turning it into a "bobber".
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »
I left off contributing to that site years ago, but to look in to watch the various spats going on .

Its a sign of its standards how a post about constipation drags on.

The head race saga is amusing in the ineptness or complication of the advice given.  a foot long  1/2 steel bar, with a good square edge down the head stock should find enough of a lip to get a purchase on and knock it out.

although why he is replacing genuine triumph parts with new pattern ones I can't imagine.

Another source of amusement for me is swinging arm bushes on pre 70 Triumphs, There is a split in the thinwall bush, I used to find that and had an LE Velo clutch pushrod, ground to a chisel edge which would fit into it at the top and loosen it enough to pull out.

I have other Triumph short cuts with ignition timing, CB points oil seal relacement, clutch alignment, oil tightness,  gearbox selector indexing and so on, but I gave up passing those tip on for free because so many cannot accept a solution that does not involve a lot of BS and hype.

I have come to the cynical conclusion that lots do not want to fix their bikes but to show off what they think they know.[but don't]

So it's not that  the commando guy is a dreamer, just that if he was up to such major modifications he would not be asking the Internet surely? Welding course, oh yes. as long as I don't have to ride on it.

My heroes are guys like the late great Malcom Saggers an engineer of the old school for whom there were no problems only solutions, he could make anything; same as the older guys, retired toolmakers and the like that can turn out working radial aero engine models with a model engineers lathe and a file.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:42:20 AM by mini-me »