Author Topic: John Ponton - Norton mechanic 1930s  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Infosearch

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
John Ponton - Norton mechanic 1930s
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »
Hello,

I hope someone can help with some information about a Norton race mechanic from the 1930s.
John Ponton was a Scotsman and worked for the Norton race team around 1935 to 1938.

The attached photos show someone whom I believe was John Ponton (standing left in both photos). This is not Bill Mewis who didn't wear glasses.

I would like any information about John Ponton and his engagement with Norton. I know that after the Second World War he was stationed in Germany as part of the occupation forces and raced bikes there as an amateur until at least 1948. What happened to him after that is not clear.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: John Ponton - Norton mechanic 1930s
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:58:25 AM »
Feed whatever details you have into find my past or ancestry site.

That will give you,what is likely, the date of his death,. From there you can see if he hasd probate, which are searchable, thence any surving relatives, last address and so on.

from there all sorts of possibilites open , newpaper articles, war service records, emmigration.

good luck

Offline Infosearch

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:08:08 PM »
Hello mini-me,

Thanks, I tried all of that already and could not locate anything recent that fits.

Hence I am here hoping that someone might know of him and help me.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:24:41 PM »
sounds like you dug deep, I suppose you have tried the obvious like the Norton owners club, [probably not interested] VMCC? I suspect your best source of info would have been the late George Cohen .

Possibly the Brooklands society? Got his army service records?

Offline Kitchen

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
Hello,

I hope someone can help with some information about a Norton race mechanic from the 1930s.
John Ponton was a Scotsman and worked for the Norton race team around 1935 to 1938.

The attached photos show someone whom I believe was John Ponton (standing left in both photos). This is not Bill Mewis who didn't wear glasses.

I would like any information about John Ponton and his engagement with Norton. I know that after the Second World War he was stationed in Germany as part of the occupation forces and raced bikes there as an amateur until at least 1948. What happened to him after that is not clear.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My Grandrarther Bill mewis did wear glasses so please get your facts correct.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:08:15 PM »
How do you know it was the same Bill Mewis?.. :-\