Motorcycle Discussions > European and Other Bikes

Restoring a Terrot 1955 !!

(1/4) > >>

Tifa73:
Hi everyone, ive just joined hoping to get some help and advice on restoring a Terrot 125  1955. We bought it about a week ago and had it shipped from France.
My partner has restored cars and bikes before but we thought this would be a challenge, and its living up to it !! Whilst waiting ( impatiently ;-) ) for the email to activate joining here I did read through JoeJoyce 's post on the Terrot 1953 and got some good info from that. But we were hoping to get a bit of advice on a couple of things. Parts are a bit of a problem and the seat, Dunlop rubber needs help !!

We are so looking forward to restoring this pretty little bike, but we would love to get a little help.
I will try and put a picture on, but just in case I struggle, I will keep trying.

Thank you for reading :-)

cardan:

Well it looks like it's mostly there, which is a good start. Since it's a fairly modest thing, be careful not to pour too much money into the restoration: maybe think of painting some of the bits that have been chrome and are now rusty.

Good luck!

Leon

iansoady:
I agree - it's so easy to spend a fortune which you'll never get back.

On the other hand, the work itself is its own reward. Or that's what I always tell myself.....

That bike does look complete but is too far gone for the oily rag treatment.

Rex:
That seems a fair assessment to me. I hope that, like so many old French bikes, it's not been run until it can run no more, then left against a wall for decades, then sold to the daft English?
Sorry to sound negative, but the French "classic bike scene" is nothing like the UK's, and spares can be difficult to impossible to find, even for bikes like post-war Terrots.
Best of luck, really.

Tifa73:
Thank you for your replies, we hope it hasn't been run beyond help too, Rex. We will be watching the costs of this too !! We, or rather I !have found a lot of parts available in France obviously, but our French unfortunately is not very good ! It was listed that it had been left in a barn etc , but we like a challenge lol.

We are really struggling with the saddle. Here are some pics. As you can see the rubber has perished. Ive even tried researching how Dunlop came to make this saddle and what rivets were used not as thought we could make one ! We really don't know what to do about the saddle. It needs replacing, but I have not found one that is in decent enough condition. I have spent many hours searching. I thinking using a new different seat would be the only option ? I do know of an upholsterer who makes tonneau covers, if that's possible.
The paint job isn't too much of a problem as my partner is a paint sprayer by trade and is in the car trade too.

Thank you so much for your help
:-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version