Author Topic: 8 inch headlight wanted  (Read 9544 times)

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 8 inch headlight wanted
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 06:12:31 PM »
post the letters of the registration I'll tell you what year it was registered,then you can compare numbers to factory records.

If I were you I'd be wary of numbers, and the BS you might be told from "experts", Factory records are availiable.

I have several sets of number and letter stamps, availiable for hire for those that want that "factory special" :o :o ::)

another thing is that I have seen BSA sent out with the fittings for hand change on the tank and foot change.
I had an ex-police 500cc J12 like it.

Offline timbo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 06:30:10 PM »
I know what you mean.
I found the numbers on a website explaining Pre war BSA serial numbers.
There al the years start with a 101 so I tought my bike could be a first one.
If it is not,al the same to me. I do not know what you mean with registration.
I live in belgium and the bike was bought in france. The owner did not know much about
its past. He told me it could be an ex french police bike as they rode on this type of bikes in
the 30's. A lot of gessing tough. The engine number was completely worn or filed away.
Had to use an acid to be able to read it. It is Z5 361. The first didgits I am sure about but the 361
was not quite clear. I do think the frame numbers are original but you can never be sure af course.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »
ah,well, that explains a lot.
In the UK it is possible to reference the letters of the registration [or matriculation?] to a particular town and specific dates of issue.
Sometimes the BSA records can even tell you which dealer the bike was supplied to. I think you should contact the BSA owners club with photos of the bike and of the numbers. They hold copies of the records.

Besides which there is the added complication of impressed bikes.
In 1939/40 there was a shortage of bikes for the military, so the government grabbed 1000s of bikes from everywhere, dealers, factory stock, private owners; the result was, until standardised, a vast variety of sometimes unsuitable bikes. Thes ecould have been disposed of anywhere and vast numbers where abandoned after Dunkirk.
If you can find pictures of the vehicle dumps  in Belgium and France in 1940 you will see some interesting stuff, this was dispersed all over europe by the German army who put a lot of it back into service.
Your bike could possibly have an interesting history.
Anyone of the above could have resulted in your bike having any old number stamped onto it.

Plus, if it was in use in prewar France you could fit a Bosch, Marechal or any make of headlamp and it would not be wrong; Bosch headlamps could be bought here in the 1930s as well.

I reckon you need to book a trip to the big bourse in Strasbourg this year.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:06:39 PM by mini-me »

Offline timbo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the interesting reply.
I had the same thought about the bosch or other european headlights
but they to are rare.
What is this bourse in strasbourg?

Tim

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:05 AM »
In Strasbourg,or rather just outside there is a huge bourse around september time I think, I last went ther ein 2001 so I presume its still there;can't remember the name of the actual town, and of course there is Mannheim, and the MotoLegende event which use to be at Montlehry South of Paris but which has moved.

Sorry can't be more specific, have not crossed the channel since 2007.

I will rummage in the dark corners of my memory and see what I can remember.

here
31 March to 2 April 2017: Veterama, Hockenheim, Germany.

27 and 28 May 2017: Coupes Moto Legende, Dijon, France.

6 to 8 October 2017: Veterama, Mannheim, Germany.
- Huge autojumble.

17 to 19 November 2017: Salon Moto Legende, Paris, France.
- French show. The dates are provisional. No exact dates available at time of writing.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:11:33 PM by mini-me »