Motorcycle Discussions > Classic Motorcycle Sport

A Mileage Question

<< < (2/2)

Rex:
Generalising, I'd say very few if it's events only.
Take a guess....say ten events a year, and twenty miles for each event, add in the "ahh yeah but I do twenty events a year" multiplier, and guess at 500 miles per year tops?

33d6:
Thanks Rex,
Basically both Ian and you have confirmed what I thought was the case but didn't really know. Essentially it's a case of  "I ride regularly but don't ride far so the engine rarely gets really hot and bothered even when I give it a burst of the berries". Not that there is anything wrong with that but it's not really a good measure for Australian summer conditions which is what I was after.

Thanks for the help.

iansoady:
My Enfield did used to get rather warm on occasion. Slogging through deep mud at walking speed doesn't do anything for the cooling.

OTOH as you perhaps guessed most British trials are in the depths of winter.

33d6:
Oh dear, I don't think we should start talking about Royal Oilfields. If yours got hot and bothered riding in a bit of mud on a winters day in England you'll understand how quickly they wilted in an Australian summer just with normal use. That floating bush big end and having the oil tank integral with the crankcase to ensure nothing cooled down was not a good idea. Such a pity as they looked good and were early adopters of comfy swing arm rear suspension.  Of course the excellent suspension just guaranteed the engine failed even more quickly as normal touring speeds could be kept up over country roads that slowed everything else down and gave the engine a breather. (Dowty forks, rigid frame, anyone?)

Sorry, got off the point there a bit but the Royal Enfield myth makes me roll my eyes on occasion.

Back to the subject. I think you've both confirmed that UK observed trials practice has little practical value for road use in hot climates.

Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version