Author Topic: A Mileage Question  (Read 6501 times)

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
A Mileage Question
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:14 AM »
I have a question about English style observed trials. Being Australian I've never seen one and I'm curious. Can any one tell me the approximate mileage a rider would cover in a days trialling and about how long it would take.
At this moment I'm not particularly interested in the Scottish Six Days or the MCC long distance trials they are fairly self explanatory but the more usual weekend stuff.
Can anybody say?
Cheers,

Oh, and weather also. It's mainly a winter sport isn't it?

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Mileage Question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
If you're talking about closed off-road events, very low mileage. Normally over by lunchtime.

There are longer distance events (like those that used(?) to be in the pre-65 championship) that would include up to 60 miles or so. These were very enjoyable. They'd usually be most of a day. Eg these: http://www.poacherspre65trials.co.uk/northern-series
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
Thank you Ian, that's a great help. The link you provided was most helpful.
Am I right in suspecting that few people actually ride their trials bike to an event but trailer them? I'm more curious about the pre-65 trials.

Thanks in advance,

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:58:11 PM »
Like any event really, in that if you bend or break it you've no way of getting home easily, but if you van/trailer it you can take spares, grub etc too and you get a nice warm cosy seat going home when you're cold tired and wet!

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »
I'm not against trailering Rex. In fact I'm the man with the van in my own sad little group of nutters. It really is just a mileage question. I want to get an understanding of how much actual mileage these bikes would put under their wheels each year. Nothing else.
Cheers,

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
Generalising, I'd say very few if it's events only.
Take a guess....say ten events a year, and twenty miles for each event, add in the "ahh yeah but I do twenty events a year" multiplier, and guess at 500 miles per year tops?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
Thanks Rex,
Basically both Ian and you have confirmed what I thought was the case but didn't really know. Essentially it's a case of  "I ride regularly but don't ride far so the engine rarely gets really hot and bothered even when I give it a burst of the berries". Not that there is anything wrong with that but it's not really a good measure for Australian summer conditions which is what I was after.

Thanks for the help.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:04 AM »
My Enfield did used to get rather warm on occasion. Slogging through deep mud at walking speed doesn't do anything for the cooling.

OTOH as you perhaps guessed most British trials are in the depths of winter.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:30:22 AM »
Oh dear, I don't think we should start talking about Royal Oilfields. If yours got hot and bothered riding in a bit of mud on a winters day in England you'll understand how quickly they wilted in an Australian summer just with normal use. That floating bush big end and having the oil tank integral with the crankcase to ensure nothing cooled down was not a good idea. Such a pity as they looked good and were early adopters of comfy swing arm rear suspension.  Of course the excellent suspension just guaranteed the engine failed even more quickly as normal touring speeds could be kept up over country roads that slowed everything else down and gave the engine a breather. (Dowty forks, rigid frame, anyone?)

Sorry, got off the point there a bit but the Royal Enfield myth makes me roll my eyes on occasion.

Back to the subject. I think you've both confirmed that UK observed trials practice has little practical value for road use in hot climates.

Cheers,