Author Topic: Villiers time line for engines  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Paullowe

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Villiers time line for engines
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:22:58 PM »
Hi all, I have been working on a timeline for Villiers engines and gee it is complicated!  I would just like to be able to "speak" the engine numbers and types.  It led me to thinking this has probably already been done so I ask the group if it has.

If not I would love to share what I have so far for comment and correction.

paul

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Villiers time line for engines
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »

Hi Paul,

I'll bet it's been done and I bet 33d6 knows all about it! No doubt he'll tell us presently. I don't know too much about Villiers engines, but it's a coincidence that this week I've been working on one of the earliest models - prefix O - for a friend. Pre-flywheel-magneto of course, but a simple and nicely made motor. 269cc and around 1913-15 I think. I've ridden a hundred km or so on a similar O-series-powered bike, and they run very well.

Have fun with your research!

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 04:56:51 AM »
You bet its been done before.
Jack Sizer wroteth a pretty comprehensive version,
not sure if this is all of it or if there are more details somewhere.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm

There have also been several "The book of the Villiers",
I think in both Pearsons and Pitmans versions (?), in some detail.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 05:16:49 AM »
Yes, how could I not get sucked in to write about the backbone of the GBMI (Great British Motorcycle Industry). I'm not sure what you find complicated Paul. Any business that made engines by the million and did so for sixty odd years will have an extensive history, Villiers no more so than any other.
I would suggest that to learn about Villiers you start off by looking at these particular websites and then come back with any specific questions afterwards.
Firstly, www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/Engineering/Villiers/Villiers.htm  The next site gives a potted preview of the Jack Sizer Villiers history, it is www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0596.htm  Then my mate Ron Wileys attempt at www.communitywebs.org/AdelaideHillsMotorRestorersClub?assets/dicks-articles/36-Villiers-engines-part-1.pdf and finally a Dutch site where the site owner has lifted Villiers id numbers from both Jack Sizers history and Roy Bacons "Post war Villiers singles and twins' and popped them in his site. This one is ww.hulsmannmotor.nl/Villiers_motornummers.html 
All of the above will give you a pretty broad overview although far from complete. For example, one of my little amusements since Roy Bacon published his by far the most useful postwar Villiers history book is to track down Villiers ID numbers he doesn't list. I have about fifty so far.
As you can see, some of us can get quite sad with our little motorcycle obsessions. Luckily mine is just old Villiers two-strokes.
I look forward to your return when you have done your home work. A written examination is required.
Cheers,

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 09:05:38 AM »

Oh I'm a sucker, and I'll read anything. The Villiers history is an interesting one.

The fourth link should be http://www.hulsmannmotor.nl/Villiers_Motornummers.html (all post war I think) but the third (the Ron Wiley reference) I can't navigate to, but would like to.

Cheers

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »
You want to sit for the Villiers exam as well do you Leon? Failure will be punished.

Seeing as he is local to you I can see why you want to read what Ron Wiley has to say. Ron is much more an industrial cum stationary engine man so hunts up all the non motorcycle stuff that I can't really be bothered with but between us we more or less cover the field. He's written quite a bit for the Australian magazine TOMM, The Old Machinery Magazine.

Villiers get a bad press mainly I think because being at the economy end of the market they attract the broke and the bodgers and they did get put in to some really cheap and nasty motorcycles. Like everything they do need some maintenance. Mostly I just put my efforts into taking them back to factory standard whereupon you get a happy little workaholic. Not exciting, not dramatic, just a solid workhorse.

Cheers,

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »
Good point, although most of the old British companies' output has been trashed in the mags and the 'Net over the years, usually be riders of more modern bikes or silly arse journo's continuing the theme.
Joe lucas is another good example. Funny how Yanks particularly moan about Lucas stuff when it's now over fifty years old and bodged to death/non-maintained.

Online iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
And both Lucas and Amal made products to fit the bike manufacturers' maximum costings. Both could of course make superb instruments.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
The joy of Villiers. No Lucas and a minute amount of Amal. Essentially pure Villiers throughout and so simple. Mind you, an amazing amount of owners work really hard to create complications for themselves.
Cheers,