Author Topic: "New" bike  (Read 4408 times)

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
"New" bike
« on: April 14, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
No buyer for the Sunbeam yet so I decided there was in fact room in my garage for an extra and have gone for this:

I've never got on well with 2 strokes but always liked the look of these. All there, in decent condition but a few (probably a lot) of tidying up to do.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "New" bike
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
I was advised to buy one of these as my first bike, went for a Crusader sports instead; still cannot decide which was the mistake :(

shortly after I had dealings with a pals Leader, could not get that going either..... :'(

In your place I would have bought another Sunbeam, you can't have too many. ;D

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »
Up to quite recently you couldn't give those buggers away...how things have changed! That bike has the look of an "unridden resto" to me, so maybe expect the usual teething problems?
Is the tank a different colour to the rest of it? Optical illusion most likely.
I was never a fan of strokers either until I discovered Smirnoff   err Scotts, I meant to say..  ;)
Should be a fun bike to ride.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
The previous owner had it for 14 years or so but it has been on the road recently (and his wife confirmed it). He did seem like a nice bloke and also has a Velo Viper, so must be an engineer!

It does need quite a lot of attention to what I hope are fairly minor issues and of course looks better in the pic than reality. The tank is actually a pale gold which in fact looks nicer than the "proper" gold of an Arrow SS.

What I really want is a Silk 700 but they are few & far between. I see the Ariel as a kind of miniature version....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »
The Arrow was my first restoration at the same time my brother brought a Triumph TR25W ( BSA ) , he thought he was breeze past me but the Arrow outperformed his puny four stroke  250 with ease .
From memory the Arrow has the same bore and stroke of a Yamaha RD 250 and to my ear it sounded just like an RD 200 when I first started it .
The gearbox was probably the worst thing about it and desperately needed at least another gear or even two  . With further development like twin carbs and a tubular frame I think it would have been a winner .
This is my 500cc V twin two stroke Bimota

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 02:07:29 PM »
On my Crusader Sports I would follow Gold Stars just for the smell of R, if I followed an Ariel stroker  I just choked........... ( ;)

Offline runesika

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
On my Crusader Sports I would follow Gold Stars just for the smell of R, if I followed an Ariel stroker  I just choked........... ( ;)
Choked up because you couldn't keep up   :'(

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
Did a lot of miles on a mates Arrow when I was in the RAF. Was good except at certain speeds my feet would keep sliding off the footrests due to them buzzing and vibrating. Otherwise a little sweetie.
Cheers,

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
Choked up because you couldn't keep up   :'(

spot on, exactly. :'(