Author Topic: Sludge trap 650 twin  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Epreon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Sludge trap 650 twin
« on: May 24, 2017, 03:54:19 PM »
I have a Triumph 650 twin c1970 and want to clean out the sludge trap in the crankshaft which is on the timing side of the crank. How do I separate the crankshaft from the right hand crankcase?

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sludge trap 650 twin
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »
Hi,
Have you removed the crank timing pinion?
I am assuming the engine has a ball bearing on the timing side?
If so you need to heat the crankcase to approx 140/150 deg C and press out the crank from the case
the bearing may come out of the case with the crank
Take precautions not to damage the end of the crank

John

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:17:58 AM »
Been some years now but I don't recall heat being required to split the cases. As I recall the crank nose will push through the bearing easily enough, especially with a little persuasion from a rubber mallet.
Heat then required to get the bearing out of the case.

Offline Epreon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaterlea25 and Rex.
I have not yet removed the crankshaft pinion. My Haynes manual says "if the Triumph service tool is not available the pinion can be left in place until the crankcases are separated. It can then be removed by driving the crankshaft through the right hand side main bearing with a rawhide mallet." Haynes also say "this method is recommended only if the main bearing concerned is due for replacement". Thought reluctant to damage a maybe good right hand side main bearing I wondered if it might be possible to leave the crankshaft pinion in place and drive the crankshaft through with a rawhide mallet as Haynes suggest but at the same time apply heat as you suggested thus possibly not damaging the main bearing?
If not then surely I will have to buy or hire a Triumph service tool Z121 to extract the pinion from the crankshaft?
You mention protecting the crankshaft; would you consider a copper bolt and washer inserted into the crankshaft sufficient protection when using Triumph service tool Z121.
I would apprectiate your thoughts.

Offline chaterlea25

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 12:39:35 AM »
Hi,
Get the proper Triumph Manual, the tools and do the job properly
I fabricated my own tool to press a triumph crank from the cases
New bearings should be fitted as a matter of course
Cheaper than a new crankshaft :o

John

Offline Epreon

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 12:32:27 AM »
Any other ideas apart from looking at another manual?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
To do what, split the cases? :-\

Offline dunboyne

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 02:00:21 AM »
if leaving the pinion on you will need to heat the cases to remove the crank with bearing still attached . ive had luck with a micro bearing puller to remove the pinion . you could remove the pinion nut and tap the crank towards the case to get some more clearance for the bearing puller claw but it shouldnt be needed. be careful what you hit the crank with as it needs to seal with the seal on the timing casing. ive seen ones that were hit with hammers or something and it spreads the end of the crank and the seal will not seal. its quite common. if that happens you need to get the crank end machined back to spec .you may need to make weights to replace the rod/piston weight when putting the crank in a lathe . you can get undersize seals if required.
keep her lit