Author Topic: Whats this engine in 1930's Monet Goyon  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whats this engine in 1930's Monet Goyon
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
As for the bike frame and the front forks they are a 1930's Monet Goyon S17, this was a twin port bike but with a 175 engine I think. The frame numbers have been id'd on the Monet Goyon french site. It also has on the V5 as model S17. It is also shown on the V5 as having a 197 or something close to that engine size.
The engine though is unidentified, The Monet Goyon lot say its not one of there's so is probably not a Villiers from any factory. It may well be something made up like Mini Me says. But I do think at sometime the bike has been raced even if by a individual having track fun. Why on earth would anyone want a heel operated brake and both a foot and short stubby hand shift and no kick start ?  I think it probably came over in the 40's and got issued this number and registered as a MG S17. It may of been modified before or after that time. If the engine was put in after it came over here I would of thought it was more likely British or British parts and if before when it was back in France more likely French. All I really want to know is what is it or from what parts it been knocked up out of. Mini Me mentioned lawn mowers I think, anyone know of a twin port mower ?
            Cheers, Jon           

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 05:44:09 PM »
To clear up the V5 I have dug it out. It obviously does not say " Something like" I just did not have it to hand.
It says GWF997W as declared manufactured 1936 , non transferable date of first reg 2014. This was me getting the V5 as it had apparently got lost over the years. The frame number is 1936 MG S17 as I did go onto there site and ask to check. It came with some old paperwork and I think even a old tax disc I had to send in, never had any problems so did the DVLA have it on there books still, I cant remember.  I think the reg number someone dated for me as 1940's. I have no idea how you do that is there a register of numbers someplace ? And way I guess this must be why the last owner said it was in the UK from the 40's. 
So was it off the road do you think and lost its V5 as does happen or did it come over in the back of a van. Maybe the owner before me as you say thought it had been knocked up and passed it on :( Still I like it.
As for the exhaust connections I see R says he has some Villiers did have fine thread screw on barrel, these are also very fine large thread screw on but as I recall as do not have the bike in front of me I do not think the exhaust nuts are correct, they screw on but I think felt a bit lose on the threads so may have different thread. Anyway to me its a interesting bike and a nice shape and it was not expensive. I will get to the bottom of the engine one day, it looks the part to me and I do not care on originality on this. There is not a engine number as far as I could see anywhere on the engine only that old worn casting and a number on the flywheel mag.
    Cheers, Jon

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
The number is a replacement for when it was first registered; some years back they were less stringent than they are now. That is why its non transferable.

It did not have to be a lawn mower, villiers engines and their french knock offs were used in all sorts of machinery and yes I have seen a two exhaust lawn mower.
its got the stubby lever because its not its original box, its got a  K/s but it probably had cycle type pedals when it was made, its what the french classed as a BMA.That gear-change is so obviously home made.

I think you need to do a lot more research into old french utility bikes from the 1930s, you can talk it up as much as you like, its a lash up, never been on a track unless it was a cycle track.
It is what is and if you like it all well and good.

I've been in bikes dealing and import/exporting them and have seen so much of this.
Have a holiday in france and do the rounds of the Brocantes/Vide Greniers and Bourses[auto jumbles] and see lots like this.

Sorry to be harsh, thats my lot.

nearest I can find to your thing is this
http://motoensavoie.canalblog.com/archives/2013/05/30/27284801.html

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:16:07 PM by mini-me »

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »
There no doubt about it Mini me, you do make me laugh. What you seem so hooked up on is that this or any bike is not original. All bikes are just parts put together and for me I don't care. I like it and like the look. All I wanted was a answer to what the engine may be, sadly this as yet has not been answered but it may well be just parts put together from many engines as you suggested, but I don't care :) I am in no way talking it up just pointing things out. Yes the gear change has been made up but if you look you can see this was a awful long time ago. No it never had pedals and there is a place the kick start would of once been fitted but with the twin gear shift this would make fitting it impossible. Hope that's straight. You do need to get over any perceived injustice you have had done to you in the past though as your blood pressure must be through the roof :) Anyway have a good one and take it easy.
        Cheers, Jon

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »

All I wanted was a answer to what the engine may be
Answer is, no-one knows :o :o :o

Anyway have a good one and take it easy.
        Cheers, Jon

:D :D :D :D :D

I spent too many years in the bike trade you see, that and  what having to deal with some  of the biker types does to you.......

A very quick route to the nut house..... I have a fund of tales you would not believe, takes about 3 pints of Guinness to relate them all.

You are Frome area? not so far from me, so probably explains a lot ;)

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
you are right there that at this time sadly no one knows but there must be someone knowledgeable out there somewhere. I just have to find them ;) 
Yes Frome area Somerset and would not want to be any where else :)