Motorcycle Discussions > European and Other Bikes

Terrot MT1 - First project - James Ware - Request for info

(1/2) > >>

BEWareofSware:
Yo!

A little bit about me... I am a new member to this forum and although I've been riding for 10 years I've only owned modern bikes. I recently had my first big crash and as a way to help get myself 'back in the saddle' I've bought a random fixer-upper....

The bike advert...
Terrot MT1 100cc 1950
Engine not seized, missing exhaust and cables.
Unfinished project.
Please see photos for details and condition. No log book.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrot-MT1-100cc-1950/282666487496?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The bike has now arrived and is missing more parts than i realised including cables AND levers and the fuel tank is also quite rusty inside....

I was hoping for some friendly advice and I have lots of questions, but ill start here..... Where do I start? Where is a good place for spares? Is it sacrilege to modify this bike away from the original spec!?

All the best

Terrotmt1:
Welcome.
I have literally this week finished my restoration of my Terrot MT1, 1950!
I came on here 'late' in the 10 month restoration as I needed advice on getting the engine to start. It has been a great help.

You are missing some parts, but try 'Terrot pieces' in ebay.fr and most of what you need is there and not too expensive.
A French company, Chambrier, are very good, but parts overall are very hard to find. (anywhere). They can make the exhaust tube and silencer to correct spec. The tube is a very strange diameter and not available in the UK.

I used BSA Bantam parts (handle bar levers), Universal cables off ebay, and Villiers Services for brake re-lining, chain, magneto magnetising etc.

CWS in Coleshill have the spokes, my rims were perfect. They have the correct sized tubes and tyres.
Getting it UK registered might be a bit frustrating, the VMCC club validated mine as experts on Terrots.

I found the bike to be well made, the carb awful and getting the engine to run miserable!

Good luck. :). I paid 2 x more for mine, and the total cost of the bike and parts/services has been £2400. Lost count of the hours...

I think there are 4 other MT1's in the UK, could be wrong.

This might help, the total restoration of my bike:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58463

Rex:
That bike looks like it's been given the "dust over with a can of aerosol black and a light dusting of sawdust" treatment.
Room for a Bantam or Villiers engine though..... ;D

Terrotmt1:
In hindsight, a Villiers (9E?) would have been a great mod!

mini-me:
There must be more old french bikes coming into the Uk  in the backs of vans these days than there are migrants coming in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version