The VintageBike Message Board > The Classic Biker Bar

Brake light

<< < (2/3) > >>

R:
Interesting observations.
My thoughts were to measure the voltage that is applied to the leds, and apply this directly to them - bypassing the controller. Haven't actually installed it yet...

Maybe there is a market for a suitable self-contained unit/kit for motorcycles ?
Disguise it as a (jumbo) acetylene rear lamp ??
Or picnic basket accessory ...

rtw:
Hi, been busy and only just got back to read replies. thank you.

i can only assume the tail light is original, it has two wires coming out the back  and two contact points for a twin element globe. I don't believe the bike ever had a rectifier and was only ever direct wired from the magneto. An Interesting thing is on the brake shaft that crosses through the frame to the brake rod there is a lever cast into it with a hole at the top that I suspect some how possibly connected to a switch. I will post a pic later today.

rtw:
finally took a picture, as you can see the hole just below where the brake rod couples there is hole on a tag, it must have been designed for something.
I had it running last night, took it for a spin around the block. it wouldn't keep up with my BMW! but it goes ok. 

33d6:
Excelsior made two versions of the Roadmaster in 1950, the R1 rigid and your R2 deluxe with rear plunger suspension. The R2 had a battery and rectifier and should have the second of the wiring circuits we discussed earlier. This allows for the stop light addition. The ancient selenium rectifier in those days was a monster being roughly the same size and thickness as a slice of toast bread, ie, bread sliced thicker to make toast. On my 1951 James de luxe with exactly the same engine and wiring set up the rectifier was bolted flat on the back of the toolbox. Yes, that's right. It was in the path of every bit of road muck going---but it worked. Have a look on the back of your toolbox. You may find evidence of the rectifier being mounted there. Otherwise they were usually mounted under the seat. I'll have a look around my stuff to see what I can find but meanwhile I can only suggest you start planning for a complete rewire which will improve things a lot.

Finally (and I'm being extremely cheeky here) please remove those fork gaiters. Excelsior never fitted them and they really don't help the looks do they. It's like a pretty girl in party dress wearing wellingtons.

Cheers,

33d6:
Having a closer look I can see yours is the 122cc Universal, not the 197cc Roadmaster. Not to worry, except for the engine capacity they are otherwise identical and same remarks apply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version